Format rule may be expensive and slow the user experience of your app

Dev_TI

Hi,
we are having a performance issue with our apps, the app shows the following alert:
“The condition of format rule ‘Médicos’ may be expensive and slow the user experience of your app”
We have identified that the alert is because of this formula:
OR(LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Médico],Médicos,Médico,Classificação) = “1”, LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Médico],Médicos,Médico,Classificação) = “2”)
but we do not identify what is causing the problem in this formula, does anyone have any suggestions for improvement in this formula?

0 5 486
5 REPLIES 5

@Dev_TI
Are you looking up the value of a column in another table rather than the table that you are applying the formatting rule?
I mean is “Médicos” table the same table that this rule is applied?

Yes, the table “Médicos” is in the same table of the rule.
This problem has started recently and this formatting rule has always existed in our app.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Format rules are applied in real time to the rows included in the on-screen view. If your tables are large, the expressions used by your filter rules could take a lot of time to compute and slow the app. For this reason, it’s a good idea to keep format rule expressions simple and (as @LeventK is getting at) to avoid filter rule expressions that use other tables.

This would be helpful to explain in the Format Rules: The Essentials or another applicable article. There are several threads in the forum about the "Expensive expressions in a formatting rule can significant slow down the app UX" warning, and this is the last reply of the last thread that I found and read through.

In my case, the warning appears on a format rule that applies to a column that appears only in infrequently used views, which are based on a table with only dozens of rows. So, your explanation is helpful in evaluating that the warning's described impact seems likely to be minimal in my app.

Thank you for this valuable input! I've added a note to the Format Rules: The Essentials section, as suggested. I plan to revisit the app performance information in general in our docs in the not-to-distant future to ensure the information is surfaced in the relevant articles. 

Top Labels in this Space