Format rule that affects one table based on related value in another table

I have a table of locations that are associated with many possible employee records in another table. I want to format the location name based on whether any employee associated with that location meets certain requirements (employee columns have a particular value)โ€ฆ How can I do this since the associated employees are a ref list?

Solved Solved
0 4 557
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You canโ€™t dereference a list like that, it doesnโ€™t make sense. Remove the period and youโ€™ll get a list of all values for [column in other sheet] for all โ€œback-referencedโ€ records. Maybe wrap it in ANY() if you just want to look at one random value from that list. Or use IN() , depending on what exactly your criteria is.

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Youโ€™ve given us no information, so i have nothing to offer but this.

My apologies, it seemed enough information. To be more specific, I donโ€™t understand how to code the formula for the format rule to โ€œlookโ€ at the columns in another table since the only column in the table that establishes a relationship to the other one is a โ€œback referenceโ€ list. This may not be possible, but I thought Iโ€™d hazard to ask. I didnโ€™t figure youโ€™d want a miles-long explanation of the structure of my tables and columns.

I attempted: [back reference column name (which is a list)].[column in other sheet]=X
But it could not find the โ€œcolumn in other sheetโ€. Is there another way to accomplish this?

You canโ€™t dereference a list like that, it doesnโ€™t make sense. Remove the period and youโ€™ll get a list of all values for [column in other sheet] for all โ€œback-referencedโ€ records. Maybe wrap it in ANY() if you just want to look at one random value from that list. Or use IN() , depending on what exactly your criteria is.

Thanks, I will give it a try. I am an old-school programmer and database guy, but that was 20+ years ago and havenโ€™t used these skills in a long, long time. My lack of spreadsheet acumen doesnโ€™t help. I come from a land of line numbers and procedural code.

Top Labels in this Space