Format rules do not allow [_THIS]

I have numerous yes/no and text fields in my detail view, and I want to modify them to have a different format if they are either FALSE or BLANK. I know that I can create a format rule for each one that will examine the value of the field in the expression. However maintaining multiple identical format rules is tediuos.

I think I should be able to use [_THIS] to refer to the current column attempting to be formatted, but I get an error when using _THIS here.

Is there a way to do what I want without using _THIS?
why is _THIS not allowed here?

(EDIT: change to a feature request)

Status Open
2 8 183
8 Comments
Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Unfortunately you have to assign format rule to each field one by one, [_this] would not work in that context.

Stephen_Ehmann
Silver 1
Silver 1

edited into a feature request
@tsuji_koichi do you know why it won’t work in this context?

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Format Rules are evaluated in the context of each record, not individual columns. [_THIS] would be completely ambiguous in this case.

Stephen_Ehmann
Silver 1
Silver 1

Is there a technical limitation that prevents format_rules expressions to be applied per-column? We can already filter by which columns it is applied to, so the thing is column-aware, from my SW engineering experience, this seems like a small code rearrangement to move the expression processing from the outer loop into the inner loop.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Not fully following up what you are saying here, but this is what it is.
You can not use [_this] expression to config in format rule, as format rule does not know what [_this] means.

Stephen_Ehmann
Silver 1
Silver 1

thank you. I know how it works but what I am now asking since this is a feature request and not a question is if this is technically feasible to implement. I don’t think a user can answer my question or address this feature request’s feasibility, it will need to be an appsheet software engineer.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

Obviously i m not, I m just a volunteer to this community.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager