Format rules for certain view types only?

Is there a way to only display the icon in format rules to columns if the view type is a particular view. In other words, I have a format rule to display a check icon if [column]=“done” for column Progress. I have Progress shown visible in my card view and my map view. Is there a way to add a conditional to show the icon only in the map view? Or do I just need to add another virtual column?

Solved Solved
0 11 1,907
  • UX
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Yes. You must include CONTEXT(“ViewType”) in your condition in your format rules.

View solution in original post

11 REPLIES 11

Yes. You must include CONTEXT(“ViewType”) in your condition in your format rules.

Thanks for this Post/Question, I was missing something when using CONTEXT and was going to ask, but I looked at the great Mr Steve’s @Steve Documentation a bit closer & figured out exactly what I needed is (CONTEXT(“View”) = “by Ingredient"). Just in case someone else needs a little more detail here on how to use CONTEXT, this is what I got to work in my Recipe App. Format Rules while in my “by Recipe” View, I want the Recipe Name to appear bold & bigger and Ingredients to appear normal text, and in “by Ingredient” View, I want the Ingredient to be bold/big & Recipe Names to appear normal text. CONTEXT(“View”) = “by Ingredient" worked! Another option is to restrict Format Rule by ViewType, which would be CONTEXT(“ViewType”) = “Card", or CONTEXT(“ViewType”) = “Table", etc. TYVM!

There shouldn’t be any reason that you’d need that extra set of parentheses around your expression.

OK thanks. I edited my previous comment to remove the unnecessary “(”

@Steve I did bump into another CONTEXT situation that I need for my Recipes App. In my View “by Ingredient”, sorted & grouped by [Ingredient], all of the Recipes listed under each Ingredient only show one Row, but I really want to jump directly to that Recipe. How would I do this? I played with CONTEXT & LINKTOVIEW in Display Name for the [Recipe] column, but couldn’t figure it out. I set my app up so each Recipe has one Row per Ingredient. TYVM!

Maybe just shown the [Ingredient] column in the view, and don’t group by anything?

Thanks, but eliminating the Group by Ingredients just causes a “true” column to appear with the same problem as before, where I only see one Row, not everything for that Recipe.

What does that mean? Provide a screenshot.

In my “by Ingredients” View, I must group by [Ingredient], so your I don’t understand your previous advise to not group by [Ingredient]. I think I need to rebuild this app using a child table for my Ingredients. I was trying to keep it simple, but I made it more complicated. I’m thinking there’s a way to do what I want, but a child table will probably solve other issues this app layout is giving me. TYVM!

The “true” column (should be “Cocktail”) now looks like this. The first time that I eliminated Grouping by [Ingredient], (in my “by Ingredient” View) it had given me another column to the right labeled “true” showing all of the Cocktails. I played with the Sort & Group settings a bit & could not replicate getting that separate “true” column to the right of the purple Ingredients. I think I am going to just rebuild this app using a child table for Ingredients.

Well now I’m just extremely confused by what you are doing, and what you’re trying to do.

Why does your [Cocktail] column has a Display Name of “true”?

Going back to this:

From your screenshot, it appears I may have misunderstood what you were saying. So if you’re still wanting help here, please elaborate on what this means.

And also exactly what this means.

Top Labels in this Space