Freeze Columns in Horizontal Scrolling in Table View

The horizontal scroll feature is great. It would be added value to the feature if you could select the number of column from the left to freeze when scrolling. Possible add the ability to add a expression sections so that you could say (freeze 1 row on mobile freeze 2 on browser).

Status Planned
44 8 2,962
8 Comments
retailpartnerco
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I love that idea. I know this topic is old, but I have a lot of columns, and sometimes by the time I get to the far right, I have already forgotten the first column.

Mfundo_Dzanibe

If freezing columns is not a current/imminent possibility it would help if we could conditionally show columns in table view.

pravse
Staff

This has been requested a few different times, and right now, we’re looking again at whether we can make this happen.

As context, the way we’ve implemented our table view, this is non-trivial to do. And we haven’t had the appetite to embark on a complete reimplementation for this one feature. So that’s what’s been holding us back so far.

Skip2MiLu
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Hi @praveen I am just happy we are considering it.

Take a look at below example. In the short term…would it not be easier to just freeze the group.
This way the freeze will not negatively effect the horizontal scrolling experience on smaller devices with limited horizonal space.

Before Scroll to the right
3X_a_c_ac1975b7cf8f46b1d8a323ec03abcec47c29b967.png

After Scrolling to the right the “group header” moves with the scroll to always stay in view
3X_e_6_e6123eb23e6b802484d296768ab4eedeaa72e544.png

Do not want to mentioned some of the competition…but I think this is similar functionalility to how List work and at least helps visualise UI options

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Planned
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is feature is currently available in the Preview Program. We plan on making it fully supported soon! 

Skip2MiLu
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@Roderick

I see this feature request was moved to "Planned".

I am wondering if AppSheet is actively working on all feature requests marked as "Planned" and keeping them updated and communicating on progress.

Or this not a priority for Google at this point? 

glarrain-cdd
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

@Skip2MiLu I'm wondering the same. Also, is there a limit of how much time can a feature be with "Planned" status? If it is too long, then it defeats the informative purpose and becomes frustrating for those waiting for it to be delivered.