Future dated Task Reminder notification?

pdorenberg
Participant III

Hi AppSheet community members,

I’ve developed app and one of the main features I would like to add is around sending a reminder based on a future date of a task.

For example, I’ve created a task and have added couple of columns (one enum asking to send reminder, second column is a datetime field) that I would like to leverage such that if the user says yes to Reminder field (Y/N), then based on the “Reminder Date-Time” field, it would send an email (or text) of the Task name, to the logged in user i.e., useremail().

Perhaps I’m overthinking this but I thought I may be able to leverage the Behaviour attribute of the “Reminder Date-Time” field to send a “reminder - notification” when the future date and time arrived?

I’m not looking to send regular reports (like the daily, weekly, monthly webinar reminders sample), but rather only on a specific task if the user selects Yes, and when that future date/time arrives (as set in Reminder-Date Time") it would send either email or text. (technically, I could likely skip the Y/N field, if I could just use the “Reminder Date-Time” field, as I think that would be self explanatory

Hopefully that makes sense? Is there a Trigger function I can call from “Reminder Date-Time” field?

Thanks everyone, appreciate any insights or approaches to future dated reminder feature.

Thanks,
Paul

0 5 1,273
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Participant V

There’s no way to say, “send this reminder at this specific date and time”. The best you can do is setup scheduled reports that look for reminders to send around that time and send them then: e.g., “Any reminders to send within the past 15 minutes or in the next 45 minutes? If so, send them now!”

Hi Steve,

Ah ok.

I was thinking there may be some built in way to do however now that I know that, I guess I’ll just set up a daily reminder report that runs every hour or so to check for any reminders that are set for each day.

Perhaps something to add as a new feature

Thanks for response, I’ll run with this.

Have a good day.

Paul

Hi Steve,

One other quick question for clarification.

If I have one general report to check for outbound emails or texts (on a daily basis), will it will just send to the useremail() identified on the task record as the respective date and time come up?

My assumption is yes, however wanted to check, that user didn’t need to be logged in or something along those lines.

Thanks again,
Paul

For email or SMS, the recipient doesn’t need to be logged in. For in-app notifications (are those even available from reports?), I believe they do need to be.

Hi Steve,

Suspect email and text notifications will suffice.

However I’ll ponder the app notifications and whether user needs to be logged in or not. I’m aware of some mobile app that allow app to run in background so that may work however if the app doesn’t then I’ll just communicate to users it’s email and text.

Thanks again,
Paul

Top Labels in this Space