Gobal search

HCF

I should like a global search. That is; when you are searching, the results will be from all tables, not just the current view.

Status Open
1 7 420
7 Comments
Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

It’s not the same, but have you tried the assistant?

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

If you add in all of your Table views to a single Dashboard view, then you can search through all of them at once. I often do this as a Menu view called “Search All”.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

That’s an awesome idea.

HCF

Thanks, that’s a great idea.

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

Hi @Marc_Dillon ! Great idea. I’m sure it works well in a variety of contexts but I just tried it in an app with thousands of records in different tables and, in a case like that, it seems to be prohibitively expensive. I couldn’t even get it to run properly in my browser. My app became extremely slow. I wonder if the number of records in the apps in which you have implemented this is in the hundreds rather than thousands.

P.S. It worked . . . it’s just heavy in my app:

3X_0_3_03cc34531406748731484688c83b6f171c7e6b4a.png

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

It's been a while since I read this.  I just came across it again in trying to help someone else and (having forgotten that I had tried to implement it once) gave @Marc_Dillon 's strategy another try.  Now, it works quite well for me.  In my weakest device (iPhone 6), it's a bit sluggish now but I have more data than I did before and it works reasonably well.  On my other devices (iPhone X and a fairly weak Android device) it seems fine now.  I'm not sure if there was a problem with my implementation before or if there's been some sort of improvement in the platform or what, but this seems to be a good approach.  The only problem is that filters are not available, even though the table structures are the same:
https://www.googlecloudcommunity.com/gc/AppSheet-Q-A/Make-search-icon-to-search-in-all-files-not-the...