Google drive - image data transfer quota limi...

Google drive - image data transfer quota limit.

I m creating app where users would upload the bunch of image/photo, which would be saved to google drive (G Suite). I have little concern if those bunch of image files would trigger the limit of quota on google drive in the future?

In other words, the number of images leads to thousands and 10 thousands or more, and the app users number also increases, it may cause issue to quote on google service, for instance, the picture and image on the app would not be shown, as the data transfer from google drive to the devices might be restricted?

Or is it not a concern?

0 7 755
7 REPLIES 7

Harry2

@tsuji_koichi If you anticipate a very large number of users and a images saved in your Google Drive, it is entirely possible that the storage limit of you Google Drive account will be exceeded. If this happened, AppSheet wouldnโ€™t be able to save new images to your Google Drive. One way to prevent this is to regularly โ€œarchiveโ€ old images by either deleting them or moving them to some other secondary storage.

@tsuji_koichi are you concerned about storage quota, or bandwidth? I havenโ€™t heard anybody having issues with data transfer limits so far!

@Harry @RezaRaoofi Thank you for both of you.

Google drive storage is i believe it is unlimited, so i m not talking about the storage limit. My concern is if high number of users access to image data saved in drive โ€œat the same time and dayโ€, it might hit the limit of bandwith or permissible data amount to be transferred (outgoing), and end up with issues, such as the images wont be displayed on the user devices etc. Text data should be light enough, but my concerns is massive number of the image files to be transferred from drive to device when it comes to the high number of the access to the same image data at the same time.

I just doing kinda of risk analysis before deploying app the users.

Images shown in AppSheet apps are cached by our service, so you wonโ€™t hit a rate limit on that. However, you can hit a rate limit simply on concurrent reads or updates if you have a large number of users concurrently using the app. I believe Googleโ€™s limit for each user account is 2000 requests per 100 seconds. That can get used up pretty fast if each user is, say, saving a row with five images โ€” that itself may be 10+ API requests. If you have hundreds of users adding data concurrently, you will have a problem. At that point, you should consider using something like DynamoDB instead of a spreadsheet (we support this)

@praveen Thank you for your advice, Praveen. I donโ€™t expect 2000 users would access to the app at exactly same time and do transaction on app, such as edit, add new rows at the time time as well.

I dont expect high frequency of editing data table at the same time, however, my concern is more, read-only stuffs. For instance, the app user launch the app (not expecting edit anything at this point of time, as majority of table on this app is read only.) Say, hundreds of users are launching app on the same day, and leave the browser open. On app, there would be thousands of images files are saved on drive, and image data would be cached to each users devices. again, majority of users are just reading images on app on this instance.

Do we expect some odd behaviour due to given limit by the google?

My plan is to migrate the text data to sql (no limit to the cell number), but the appsheet would save all the image file to google drive.

As the time goes by after deploying app to the users, number of image files would be increasing (through the years, it would lead to thousands or half millions on the extreme case)

Again, i m just thinking of any possible story which might happen in the future (after years and years), so that the users and app would not be restricted by the given circumstances, i.e. google limit for cloud services)

This should not be a problem. AppSheet does cache image data as well, so there will be no rate limiting issues arising from the Google Drive.

@praveen thank you Praveev, now I feel assured.

Top Labels in this Space