Google tasks integration

Wondering if anyone has experience with integrating Google Tasks with AppSheet. I’ve got a column in my data table for ‘Notes’ and it would be pretty sweet if those notes actually got saved to google tasks. I’ve got no experience with APIs though. Wondering if you can integrate AppSheet directly to Google Tasks or do I need to use a webhook and open an account with Zapier. I’d prefer to do it directly. Also, do you connect Google Tasks to AppSheet or AppSheet to Google Tasks? Does it matter or do you have to do both?

4 10 2,433
10 REPLIES 10

You would create a webhook from AppSheet to post to Tasks. No need for Zapier. This is the relevant doc page - https://developers.google.com/tasks/reference/rest/v1/tasks/insert

How would I use the webhook without going through Zapier? Every AppSheet tutorial video I’ve seen says, make a webhook and go through Zapier.

You would need to write a few lines of code in google apps script or you could use a Google cloud function. Our company provides paid services at a very nominal price. Please DM me if interested.

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

There is no direct integration between the two.

Does that mean using a webhook wouldn’t work?

Can google tasks be added as a google calendar source?

Hi all, any update on this request ?

Did you try asking chat GPT?

• here's the answer that I got, literally copy/paste... everything looks good to me on initial overview. 
  • Might need to make some tweaks to the script, I haven't tested it out as I'm not in front of a computer, but this looks basically ready to go

QUESTION Model: GPT-4

I need a Google apps script function that will create a Google tasks from a web hook from an app sheet app.

RESPONSE

To create a Google Task from a webhook triggered by an AppSheet app, you'll need to create a Google Apps Script project that exposes an API endpoint, which can be called by the AppSheet webhook. Here's a step-by-step guide:

Create a new Google Apps Script project:

Go to https://script.google.com/ and create a new project.

In the new project, copy and paste the following code:

```

function doPost(e) {

if (typeof e !== 'undefined') {

const requestBody = JSON.parse(e.postData.contents);

createGoogleTask(requestBody);

}

return ContentService.createTextOutput(

JSON.stringify({ result: 'success', message: 'Task created successfully' })

).setMimeType(ContentService.MimeType.JSON);

}

function createGoogleTask(requestBody) {

const taskTitle = requestBody.title;

const taskNotes = requestBody.notes || '';

const taskDueDate = requestBody.dueDate || null;

const tasks = Tasks.newTask();

tasks.title = taskTitle;

tasks.notes = taskNotes;

if (taskDueDate) {

tasks.due = new Date(taskDueDate).toISOString();

}

const taskListId = '@default'; // Use the default task list or replace with a specific task list ID

const createdTask = Tasks.Tasks.insert(tasks, taskListId);

return createdTask;

}

```

Save the project:

Click on the floppy disk icon or press Ctrl + S (or Cmd + S on a Mac) to save your project.

Enable the Google Tasks API for your project:

Click on "Extensions" in the left sidebar menu, then "Libraries" and search for "Google Tasks API".

Select the latest version and click "Add".

Deploy the project as a web app:

Click on "Deploy" in the top menu, and then "New deployment".

Select "Web app" as the deployment type.

Give your deployment a description, e.g., "Webhook for AppSheet".

Set "Execute as" to "Me" and "Who has access" to "Anyone".

Click "Deploy".

Copy the web app URL:

Once the web app is deployed, copy the "Web app URL" shown in the "Deployment" panel.

Set up the webhook in your AppSheet app:

Go to your AppSheet app editor and navigate to the "Automation" tab.

Create a new bot or edit an existing one.

Add a new "Webhook" action to the bot's event and set the webhook URL to the Google Apps Script web app URL you copied earlier.

Configure the payload of the webhook to include the necessary data for your task, such as "title", "notes", and "dueDate".

Now, when the webhook is triggered in your AppSheet app, it will call the Google Apps Script web app, which in turn creates a new task in your Google Tasks.

MultiTech Visions follow up question:

What would the app sheet webhook payload look like

REAPONSE

The AppSheet webhook payload should contain the necessary data for your Google Task, such as "title", "notes", and "dueDate". Here's an example of a JSON payload you can configure in your AppSheet webhook:

```

{

"title": "<<Title_Column>>",

"notes": "<<Notes_Column>>",

"dueDate": "<<DueDate_Column>>"

}

```

Replace the <<Title_Column>>, <<Notes_Column>>, and <<DueDate_Column>> placeholders with the actual column names in your AppSheet app that contain the respective data.

To set up the webhook payload in your AppSheet app, follow these steps:

Go to your AppSheet app editor and navigate to the "Automation" tab.

Create a new bot or edit an existing one.

Add a new "Webhook" action to the bot's event.

Set the webhook URL to the Google Apps Script web app URL as explained in the previous answer.

Configure the payload by selecting "Custom" under "Payload format".

In the "Payload" textarea, paste the JSON payload mentioned above, and replace the placeholders with the actual column names in your AppSheet app.

Save the changes and test the webhook to ensure that the payload is correctly formatted and the Google Task is created as expected.

Remember that the column names should be enclosed in double angle brackets (e.g., <<ColumnName>>) and should match the names in your AppSheet app.

🤯🤖🧠💪

Awesome! AppSheet + ChatGPT has made me quite handy at work 😉

AMAZING! Tested it and it works! The only issue I see is that any time you edit the task it sends a new copy of the task through the webhook. So changing the status or due date creates multiple copies of the task. I wonder if there's a way to set it to only send it once. But it would be nice to have it update the task if changes are made to the title, description, date.

Top Labels in this Space