GPS Location Services Not Working via app launcher

I have a Timecard app that captures GPS location when employee clocks in/out. I have a validation rule that, upon app startup, checks for gps location. If gps location is not available, the timecard cannot be saved.

When I open my app via my app launcher, it does not register a GPS location, and the Timecard cannot be saved.

When I open my app via the Appsheet icon (paper airplane), it does register a GPS location, and Timecard can be saved.

I deleted my app launcher and the Appsheet app from my phone, re-installed the Appsheet app, re-installed my launcher app.

When I open my app the first time via the app launcher, I am not prompted to allow location services, and the same issue occurs - no GPS location, and Timecard cannot be saved.

When I open my app for the first time via the Appsheet icon, I am prompted to allow location services, it does capture GPS, and the Timecard can be saved.

Itโ€™s happening with all employees (iOS devices. Not sure about Android).

This is pretty strange. Any ideas?..

Current phone settings:

• Location Services are turned on.
  • AppSheet has permission to use my location (โ€œWhile Using the Appโ€ is marked).
  • Device shows my location on google and apple maps.
  • Browser location services are on.
0 5 555
5 REPLIES 5

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

How do you accomplish this?

I have the following validation rule on my โ€œTime Inโ€ column:

AND(
OR(LAT(HERE()) > 0.000000,LAT(HERE()) < 0.000000),
OR(LONG(HERE()) > 0.000000,LONG(HERE()) < 0.000000)
)

Iโ€™m stumped as to why this works when I launch app via Appsheet icon, but not when I launch via app launcher.

Hmmmโ€ฆ This is outside of my wheelhouse. Perhaps engage support@appsheet.com directly?

Thank you, Steve.

You can try to have this formula in the initial value of your โ€œTime Inโ€ column:

=if(lat(here())=0,"",TIMENOW())

and you can add a virtual column

=if(lat(here())=0,โ€œPlease turn on the GPSโ€,"")

Something like this:

Note: To work, the following must be set:
โ€œTime Inโ€ must be required

Best,

Top Labels in this Space