GPS tracking

Katie

Can we please have live GPS tracking created as a functionality soon? This would be beneficial to my business and I am sure a few others.

Status Not Planned
52 22 2,282
22 Comments
WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Katie, there are currently multiple GPS tracking needs - mobile devices, vehicles equipped with GPS, 3rd party mobile GPS trackers, and I’m sure others. You want to be crystal clear on what functionality you need to get any traction on your request.

If you referring to near-real time tracking of mobile devices running an AppSheet application so it can be plotted into a map view, I am totally with you and can use that functionality TODAY! Your request will get my vote!!

peterdykstra
Staff

@Katie Like @WillowMobileSystems mentioned, it would be great to hear more specifics about your scenario. There are ways to capture location already, but require manually submitting/syncing (instead of automatic in the background). Here’s an example: https://www.appsheet.com/samples/GPS-Field-Service-Team-Tracker?appGuidString=1efed814-74d3-4eb5-b11...

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

@Peter since you mentioned automatic background capturing, are there any plans to implement such functionality? I read in the AppSheet documentation that apps with a GPS field included do poll for current location once per minute. If that’s the case, then conceptually it seems easy enough to take that value in an automatic process and write it. I do understand the concerns from AppSheet side of all the devices suddenly writing to its servers once a minute. I think the background process could write once every 10 minutes and still be a very useful tool in our apps.

School_Bus
Silver 3
Silver 3

I’d also like the GPS functionality. I run school buses, and it would be great to have that function of knowing where a bus is at any given time based on the phone or tablet in the bus. This would be useful as a dispatcher, and also to the parents.

I’d be interested in building functionality to integrate with Google maps so that it could re-route my buses based on traffic.

Is this going to be more feasible now that you are a part of Google Cloud?

Ahmed_Zeidan

Dear support team, we really need help on this feature, any updates ?

Fouad_H_Saad1

@Peter
I join my colleagues demand about apply the feature of automatic GPS tracking and show the tracking path as line in the map view.
Thank you in advance…

m_guenther
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

I would also need this feature. Is there something timeline?

Greg_Stevenson
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yes I agree that this feature would be very useful. Just voted for this request, and looking forward to getting an update as to when this may happen.

MatjazU

+1

khuslid
Silver 3
Silver 3

Absolutley needed

Majeed
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

Hello All ! I am also interested in a continuous gps tracking feature in the background ! Thanks !

Ami
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Look into “Tasker” or Integromat app, they allow gps tracking directly to google sheets which may solve your needs

WillowMobileSys
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

It’s time to give this Feature Request a nudge up the list. Please vote AND list your specific need to help AppSheet identify what function is mostly needed.

I would like to see automatic GPS capture happen every X (15) minutes for each user. A main office can then easily see where each of their service personnel, delivery drivers, field reps, etc are at any given moment.

mateo
Silver 3
Silver 3

It would be perfect!

AlexM
Silver 4
Silver 4

Totally for it!

I AM VOTING TWICE!