Grandchild table and records (HELP)

First let me say, that I have no experience at all programing, Im learning by trail and error, and reading this forum, and anything I can get my hands onโ€ฆso please help me understand this isue, and thanks for your attention.

I have a table (Orders), with a second table (Orders details), once the order is ready to be send, I have another table (Shipments) in which you can assign several Orders to One Shipment, here is my question:

How I can assign and show, once you are view shipments, its details which are the details of all the orders assign to one shipment, since this a grandchild table with details also, I cannot figure how to show a table (shipments) with its details table.

I hope made myself clear explaining it
thanks
Daniel

0 9 304
  • UX
9 REPLIES 9

Aurelien
Google Developer Expert
Google Developer Expert

Hi @DmelgarGt

First of all, welcome to the community !

Once you attach your orders to your shipments, which mean, in your order table, you have a column [shipment], type Ref
==> that will create a virtual column in your shipment table : [Related orders]

So, in order to get all the detail orders in your shipment, you will need to add a new virtual column:
==> Data/Columns, then:
3X_9_2_9281f21c1e38ccaae7c7e4d4bcca784757ba6b68.png

with this expression in the App Formula:

SPLIT(
    CONCATENATE([Related ORDERs][Related Order Detailss]),
    " , ")

Thanks for you responseโ€ฆhowever failed to make itโ€ฆ(I guess I still dont have knowlege enough for it)โ€ฆhere are some more detailed info about my messy appโ€ฆplease excuse my structureโ€ฆ

this is my tables structure

Table columns โ€œOrden de trabajoโ€

table columns โ€œOT itemsโ€

Table Columns โ€œEnvioโ€

Hi @DmelgarGt

What did you try so far ?
Can you also share structure of Envio Items ? I suspect this is the missing piece of the puzzle

Table โ€œEnviosโ€

Well in my head, tried to link table โ€œorden trabajoโ€ by using a Ref columm in โ€œEnvioโ€, it seems to work, I think, but when I tried to show or get details from โ€œOrden trabajoโ€, I cant get those details from the table, I though that by relating both tables I could call the refered table by each column individually, and so create a table โ€œEnviosโ€ with this refered columns and work my way alongโ€ฆ( I hope this is clear).

Its my understanding that by linking (or refering) the tables, if changes were made to one this changes will reflect in the second one, maybe instead of referring try to copy all rows selected from table โ€œorden Trabajoโ€ copy them to โ€œenviosโ€, so this will be an independent table at allโ€ฆ(this I have try)

but as I said, since I have zero experience with databases or its estructure, dont really know which way to move onโ€ฆ

My idea is that โ€œOrden trabajoโ€ will have data about quantity, money, to whom and what we are selling, โ€œEnvioโ€, will have data about whom are we sending to, what are sending, and also payments for that โ€œEnvioโ€, make sense?..so an โ€œEnvioโ€ could have several โ€œorden trabajoโ€.

I did tried to find a way to get data from the referred table/columns with LIST(), FILTER(), SELECT(), but my inputs in those functions are wrong, cause I get messages that says cannot find table, or the type of data is not expected, etcโ€ฆ

can you tell me, how bad my table estructure is?

I hope you can help me fix and learn thisโ€ฆ
thanks
Daniel

Hi @DmelgarGt

Iโ€™m pretty sure your structure is OK, or almost OK
I asked for your โ€œEnvio Itemsโ€ structure screnshot, in order to better understand
3X_5_b_5bb938f3ce7a23610d8964a2d38292c824ae5528.png

Thank you for taking some time to help me

Table โ€œEnvio Itemsโ€

Thank you.

So, from what I understand, your question is about to get a [Related OT Items in Envio] column, from your table Envio.

I suggest (80% sure about that, because I never had this configuration):

• make a virtual column [VC_Related OT], Type List, base Ref, Source table Orden Trajajo, expression:
[Related Envio Items][OT ID]
  • make another virtual column [VC_Related OT Items in Envio],Type List, base Ref, Source table OT Items, expression:
FILTER("OT Items",
IN([OT ID],[_THISROW].[VC_Related OT])
)

I suggest you have a look to this documentation, in order to understand what Iโ€™m trying to achieve with these suggestions:

Let us know if that works for you !

Im  still trying to understand what you said, and I think finally got to make it work..!!!!

so thank you very much,.....still have to read it a few more times to finally understand it....I wish there were some more material or videos to understand how "deference expresions " works...cause is a concept really hard to get it, it is even harder without practical examples to learn from....

I will keep practicing and reading...thanks a lot  

Thank you very much for your sugestion, let me digest everything you saidโ€ฆ, and I will let you know how it went

Top Labels in this Space