Have a related comments table that is part of...

Have a related comments table that is part of a main registration table.

The comments table is marked required in the column settings but this only works for the initial comment.

How can I make the comments required for any update to the registration record?

Is there a required_if expression that is generic enough to require a comment anytime someone opens the record and makes a change requiring a save to the form?

0 7 450
7 REPLIES 7

I do have a last modified date field in the form, would something like this work?

Although the system wouldnโ€™t be able to check until after the form is signed so probably not now that Iโ€™m trying this.

So the question is how can I make a field required all the time not just when blank?

([_THISROW_BEFORE].[LastModified] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[LastModified])

You can only request something when you open the record. Letโ€™s say you have a parent record. When you open that record, you could write a validation rule that you canโ€™t save the record if count of related records is not raised by one when you save the parent record.

Ok that makes sense.

I do have a VC that is for comment counts.

Assuming the valid if expression would go in the count field and not the list field??

What would the expression look like though?

@Aleksi_Alkio I tried this

[Registry Comments]=([Registry Comments +1)

while it worked and showed me the error message it never let me save and close the form - kept showing the error message after each comment was added. Like an endless loop of wanting +1

I feel Iโ€™m close but still not sure what the correct expression.

Thanks

Hi @Tammi_Canelli I think you need to be comparing two diff col counts eg Count reg entries = count reg comments sort of thing.

Found an easier solution than trying to figure out a correct valid_if expressionโ€ฆended up creating an action to link to comment form, then made this the event action for the registration form so when saved the user is taken to comment form and a comment is required.

If that will work as well, itโ€™s definitely another solution.

Top Labels in this Space