Have menu always visible regardless of view

I would be nice to be able to access the main hamburger menu at anytime regardless of the view you are on. I know the back arrow shows up when you go to another view, but would be nice to have the menu there as well.

Status Delivered
11 15 1,295
15 Comments
retailpartnerco
Bronze 5
Bronze 5

Yes, it adds too many clicks for my users to click back a bunch of times. You could make it like this…
2X_1_17124f42818520c8d15b833f1947d5fdcb5de113.png

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Or you could add your own home menu button to the bottom navigation bar…?

Michel_LeBlond

I have the same feature request.

It would be nice to have the back arrow appear and still keep the menu icon in place !
Lots of use cases are single actions and many apps have a default view that opens from many places.
Showing the menu option at all times keeps the view consistent, maintaining continuity of experience.

Michel_LeBlond

It takes the user one more click.
People are always in a hurry and never have enough time.
If they get the perception that there are too many clicks required
it taints their experience.

Having apps go directly to the main view is sometimes a nerve saver for the ux.

Koichi_Tsuji
Gold 4
Gold 4

For app with “bunch” of different views, I place the sort of home button as @Steve mentioned.
It is just launcher to bring the user to the selected view and act the single source of place to select the view within the app. Placing number of different view into both primary view/menu possibly gives a confusion to the app users where they select. However, if the list is grouped and button locate the place , like home button in the center of primary view, it should be easy to hit the button to go back to the menu.

I need to make it blur effect as it is production app for clients, but you could be feel a sense how it works.

3X_d_1_d1aed9be8b2348d53ebb6ac8e26a9175860c95a5.gif

I m using the deck view for this app, but we an use table, card view, or even gallery as custom menu where I put the expression/action to go to the selected view with deeplink.

This tricks would clean up the enter app to give better UI and experience to the user I believe.

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

I agree it would be even cooler if we could dock the menu… With the new no footer option an auto docking menu on desktop might be cool!

Grant_Stead
Silver 5
Silver 5

@Arthur_Rallu for your consideration.
Sometimes with navigating actions, etc. The “back” stack can get geeked up. Where you’re clicking through 5-10 blank or irrelevant screens. Being able to always access the menu makes this a little easier to swallow. Further, with the ability to not have a footer, a user dockable menu would be awesome!

Fixing the issues with the navigation stack would be good too. But I’d take the dockable menu over that.

bnewman

Update on this?

Marc_Dillon
Platinum 1
Platinum 1

Yah, this would be nice.

Status changed to: Open
Pratyusha
Community Manager
Community Manager

Status changed to: Delivered
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

This is now true with the new desktop UI (still in preview).

Status changed to: Delivered
Roderick
Community Manager
Community Manager

This has been address in the new desktop UI which is still in preview. More to come on the fully supported roll out soon! 

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

@Roderick wrote:

This has been address in the new desktop UI which is still in preview. More to come on the fully supported roll out soon! 

Certainly, this is a step forward.  However, I was hoping it would be available in the ordinary UI for smartphones.  I have experimented with the desktop UI and found that it will not work for the type of app I am building, which depends on related views NOT being shown (it's a flashcard app).  So, I hope this can eventually be addressed in the smartphone UI as well.

Comercial_Maqst
Bronze 4
Bronze 4

It could be solved if we could access side menu just by swiping 

Kirk_Masden
Gold 1
Gold 1

This is marked "Delivered" but, in fact, it has not been, at least not on my apps.  See the following image:
Screenshot 2024-03-03 at 13.51.09.png

The back arrow has caused the hamburger menu to be hidden -- exactly the problem this thread is about.  Why was this marked delivered?