Hello, I am still pretty new to AppSheet, but...

Hello, I am still pretty new to AppSheet, but I have having some issues trying to edit Reference Views. Any ideas on where / how to edit this? I would like to hide a few items and place text heads on some of the columns. Thanks!

0 7 406
7 REPLIES 7

One way is if you set your columns manually from the detail viewโ€™s definition. The option name is โ€œColumn orderโ€.

To modify the order of columns as they appear in forms, you can either reorder the columns in the spreadsheet and Regenerate the columns in the app editor; or you can define a slice and reorder columns there. Over the long-run, slices are the way to go, but there is a learning curve.

To modify the order of columns as they appear outside of forms, you can use the options for forms as above, and/or use the various options available in the view definitions themselves. In my experience, Iโ€™ve found it best to use the view definition to control column ordering outside of forms.

To affect the column headings, the only option you have (short of renaming the columns) is to use the Display Name and Description properties of the columns. If I recall correctly, Display Name (if defined) is used in place of the column name anywhere the column name would be presented to the user; if Description is defined, is supersedes Display Name in forms only.

In the formula for the Display Name and Description properties, you could also use the CONTEXT() function to conditionally change the text according to the view type or view name. This is an advanced approach and gets riskier the more complex your app gets. I mention it for completeness but donโ€™t recommend it.

Thanks Steve / Aleksi. This helps, but doesnโ€™t quite solve my problem. I am trying to change the โ€œRelatedโ€ header in my reference table. For example, I have two data sets. One table that contains gym locations. The other contains โ€œScheduled gamesโ€ at the location.

In the app, I am telling the locations to display the games tied to a location. When I create this relationship, it is creating a โ€œRelatedโ€ view but calling it โ€œRelated Gamesโ€. I want to change the name of โ€œRelatedโ€ to โ€œScheduledโ€. See attached screen shot.

Also, I still canโ€™t change headers in the โ€œrelated gamesโ€ view. If you see where it reads โ€œBasketballโ€ in the UX view, to the right of that there is a 0. That zero indicated number of people who have signed up for that game. I want to display that name.

Thanks again for your help!

Lynn
Participant V

Hi @Carlos_Rivera You can change the name of the virtual column . Just click on the edit button next to the column and change it to whatever you like.

Ah, OK. I suspect your ref view has a Display Name of its own defined (in the viewโ€™s DISPLAY section). If so, change it there.

You said:

Also, I still canโ€™t change headers in the โ€œrelated gamesโ€ view. If you see where it reads โ€œBasketballโ€ in the UX view, to the right of that there is a 0. That zero indicated number of people who have signed up for that game. I want to display that name.

Do you mean you only want to display the name, Basketball, and not the number of people signed-up? Thatโ€™s straight-forward: in the ref table view, go to DISPLAY > Column order and include only the column(s) you want.

Thanks +Steve Coile. The Display Name was exactly what I needed! Thanks to all for the help!

Top Labels in this Space