Hello, I have three tables. Main data table (...

Alper

Hello, I have three tables. Main data table (sheet1) has multiple

location_uid rows, other one has unique list of [location_uid] and a corresponding regular address ( [loc_name] ) in same row. I created an enumlist dropdown of unique regular addresses in a v.column and let user select the location. I record userโ€™s selection to a different table (settings) in same workbook. I want to filter main data table rows with security filter based on whatโ€™s selected as location, in (settings) table. So the selection will serve like a master switch and keep other records invisible across all functions in the program. I thought of using ref columns but in my case it seems I will need reference of reference which is not possible, according to some help page. The data table (sheet1) has location_uid but not regular addresses. Is it possible to solve this without adding the address column into sheet1?

0 6 364
6 REPLIES 6

tony1

@Alper I donโ€™t fully follow. But if you want to write something like this:

[Ref One].[Ref Two].[Some Column]

You can break it into two virtual columns.

The first virtual column Ref 3 can be [Ref One].[Ref Two].

The second virtual column is then [Ref 3].[Some Column].

Alper

@tony Your approach looks applicable, will try it, but let me summarize it once again in another way:

Final aim is to security filter() sheet1 rows, based on a hex number, which is not a human-readable descriptor. Therefore, a text description needed for each hex number.

Hex numbers and their text descriptions are available in sheet3.

The records will be filtered (make available) are decided with human-readable text description provided in sheet2 (a single-row table, but donโ€™t have corresponding hex code).

In table 3, make the hex number column the key column and the human-readable text description column the label column.

In table 2, make the hex number column a Ref to table 3. When the user views the Ref value, they will be presented the referenced rowโ€™s label column value (the human-readable text description).

The table 1 security filter should reference the Ref column of table 2.

Alper

+Steve Coile Hi, thank you for this answer, I made some modifications and your solution doing its job to display correct value in relevant UXviews.

Only problem was, Table2 has no HEX code column, itโ€™s only row contains (dropdown selected) readable-text. Therefore I have flipped all of described above and they become:

โ€œIn table 3, make the readable-text column the key column and the hex number column the label column.โ€

โ€œIn table 2, make the readable-text column a Ref to table 3.โ€

This allowed me to see corresponding hex code for the given readable-text, in UXviews.

But in โ€˜view dataโ€™ of table2 and 3, theres nothing I can connect the table1 (after building refs), all the columns are containing their regular values, meaning I dont have anything (hex) to feed securityFilter in table1. I am sure I am missing something here butโ€ฆ?

I am adding a picture regarding to status of tables, but I feel that Its not possible to achieve what I want, due to ref_of_ref case.

Go back to my suggestion. In table 2, replace the readable-text column with the hex number column.

Alper

It works! Thanks to both of you! +Steve Coile, @tony

Top Labels in this Space