Help, detail view is no longer responsive in PC view

I have a problem that I have been experiencing since this day

detail views are no longer working responsively PC view looks the same as cell phone view in terms of horizontal space

Does it happen to someone else?

1 21 612
  • UX
21 REPLIES 21

By-design, the detail UX & form UX widths are fixed to 600px, thatโ€™s why you are seeing large margins on both sides

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Iโ€™ve confirmed with the developers that this is an intended change.

Hi @Steve ,

You mean it is intended to remain like this or temporary. It just feel like something already too narrow, is getting narrower. Like less than 1/3 used on the screen on a very common laptop.

The change was intended, and I have to assume itโ€™s intended to be permanent. This new form-factor looks similar to what it is on a mobile device in portrait mode.

Ok Steve thanks. Bad news. This phone-like effect was already existing for sure, but much more now. It seems like something being wrong about the display from the user perspective I think.

See:

Bad news really, in our case we were developing an app specifically for pc and we loved the responsiveness of the system, now not so much โ€ฆ this decision lowers the quality of the user experience, forcing the use to be more mobile-oriented.

I think there two related but dissimilar things being referred to here.

As far as I know, STANDALONE Detail Views and Form Views have never been full-width of a PC screen.

This post refers to a Detail View in a Dashboard based on the sample image. Was the Detail View in this case, until yesterday, stretched to the full width of the Dashboard panel?

The other issue, is that standalone Detail views were affected and became even narrower than normal. This has created an ugly inconsistent look when transitioning from Detail View to Form View because the widths are no longer consistent.

Yup they are extremely narrow. Almost ugly. I would expect complaints from clients

actually it looks ugly and iโ€™m a user and iโ€™m complaining and i think the appsheet answers donโ€™t take care of the issue

Yes, I was exactly referring to the fact that the aspect is very narrow and in our case much of the information in the related columns is hidden, making the view less rich in content.
very bad change

Yes There are 2 discussions. And for sure detail views were not full screen before neither.

Actually the current standalone detail view is narrower than the form view.

On dashboard, there is even a more weird behavior. The content width of the detail view is conversely related with the width of the panel. Like in this exemple, the wider is the panel, the less you get.

At least I found this thread to explain what has happened!

It is noted somewhere above but I just want to highlight the really bad effect this change has on inline views on the detail view. Where I used to be able to squeeze 5 columns in to the related list I am now lucky to get 3. I will now have to create virtual columns simply to workaround this change.

Thanks for your precision. Interesting reading. Hopefully it wonโ€™t last long.

Yes agree. It looks worse than now. Feeling like we are seeing emulator where we see how view looks like on mobile device but actually we are in desktop and web appโ€ฆ

@morgan not sure if you might be able to hear this struggle, maybe effect some influence over thisโ€ฆ Iโ€™m on the same page as these guys, really awkward situation. Having the detail view this narrow transitioning to the form view is awkward.

I have to agree with the guys, it looks really weird now the detail view. Imagine the customer using a big screen with just a filet column of information ? So why using it in the pc ??

I donโ€™t agree this is a smart change and i would expect Appsheet to receive claims like mine and these ones in the post. =(

Has there been an update on this? It seems like this change rolled out to our apps just this week and itโ€™s causing real inconvenience. The real pain are the inline views that just arenโ€™t user friendly anymore.

Is there something planned for the detail view on the desktop version?

I believe @Adam has now reverted the change so that the Detail view and the Form view have the same widths.

Separately, there is an ongoing effort to focus on desktop UI and deliver a much better experience than we do currently. Iโ€™m hoping that comes to fruition soon.

Thats a really good news. I would like to request you to have a look at dashboard view on desktop also. It is not at all feasible to use dashboard view in desktop as it reset the adjusted size always. It would be really great if we can control dashboard. Thanks. @praveen

Top Labels in this Space