I am trying to use the Right Function

I have a Column called system with values

1. System A
  2. System R
    etc.

I want to Display
System A
System R

The numbering is to sort them in required order.

I have a formula in the System column
3X_8_9_89f6518b6927df48cc2d8b3b719744c9aa79977e.png

this does not work but if I create a VC with same formula the correct value shows.

Do I have to use a VC, can you not perform a Right() on the same Column?

0 7 230
7 REPLIES 7

@Martina
Try with this:

RIGHT(
    [System],
    LEN([System]) - FIND(".",[System])+1
)

OR

MID(
    [System],
    FIND("System",[System]),
    LEN([System])
)

No, neither of these work. My first one works ok in a VC.

I donโ€™t have the choice of choosing column [System] in the App formula of column System.
The formula doesnโ€™t give an error if I manually type it in but doesnโ€™t work.

What kinda error are you getting? Do you want to display those values in Table UX? If so, you need to construct a VC, you canโ€™t do it with the column values itself.

Not getting any errors but when I display column [System] in UX view I get the original value โ€˜1.System Aโ€™, not the computed value โ€˜System Aโ€™

If I create a VC say called System1 and display this column, I get โ€˜System Aโ€™

It seems an expected result. Whatโ€™s the problem? I couldnโ€™t get it actually

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Youโ€™re attempting to apply an App formula to a non-virtual column (the System column). An App formula for a non-virtual column is only applied when the row is edited in a form or by an action.

Note, too, that giving a non-virtual column an App formula prevents user input for the column.

If you want to display a different value than input (or selected) by the user, you probably want to use a virtual column.

Thanks for the explanation @Steve, makes sense
System is a non editable field so will never get updated.
Got it sorted.

Top Labels in this Space