Hey, Everyone - I'm trying to sort a list of ...

Hey, Everyone - I’m trying to sort a list of courses by Course Name, and then by date. As you can see from the attached screenshot, I can get it to sort by Course Name no problem… but then it doesn’t sort by date (I’m NOT trying to sort by the date that’s shown in the Course Name - I’m using a separate Date column that shows the date only).

So I want these courses to appear in this order:

DARTMOUTH Confined Space… Emergency First Aid… Fall Protection… Forklift… TCP NS (Jun 20, 2018)… TCP NS (Jul 04, 2018)…

Right now, my TCP classes aren’t showing in date order.

What’s my fix?

0 8 355
8 REPLIES 8

Lynn
Participant V

Hi It is working as expected you may have to remove the sort by course2 if you want it sorted by date.

@Lynn Thanks. So I guess there’s no way to sort by course and then sub-sort by date.

Lynn
Participant V

Its a bit hard to see from your shots but it looks like that was what you were doing originally.

Each course was being sorted by date. If you had more than one each of these you would see your sort.

@Lynn Yes - the problem is that they want to see the courses grouped by date, then sorted alphabetically

@Lynn I’m thinking the easiest workaround might be to number the courses… TCP 01, TCP 02, etc.

Definitely, it can sort by one column and then sub-sort by another. I’m not sure what the problem is, but it might be that you are sorting perhaps by the composite course name?

@praveen The table contains individual columns with the course info (course name, date, time, city, etc). The Course2 column is a concatenation of those. I would think sorting by Course2 and then by the ‘individual’ Date column would give me what I need. Not sure if that clarifies anything.

@Jayne_Hawkins you should sort by Course Name and Date. If you sort by the concatenated course+date, then it will sort by that first. It is only if there are two rows with the same value in the first column that thr second sort column has any effect.

Top Labels in this Space