Hey - Looking for input as to how I can impro...

Hey - Looking for input as to how I can improve the current layout of my training registration app. I’m going to try to explain it the best I can.

I have a spreadsheet with two tabs: Courses, and Registrations. Courses contains all of the course details (time, location, cost, etc.). Registrations contains the details for each participant as they’re added to a class (name, phone number, email, etc.).

Because I don’t have much experience using multiple tabs, I set the app up with two different views (one for each tab): Courses, and Class List. Courses is just a straight list of the available courses, grouped by location - it comes directly from the Courses tab. Users aren’t able to make changes to this info. When you click on a specific course, there’s a “Registration” button at the top, which takes you to a form that gathers all of the participant details. Those details feed into the Registrations tab. The Class List view was intended for someone to check how many people (and who) have been registered in a particular course.

The problem I’m having is that no one wants to use the app because they find it too hard (ie. annoying) to navigate between the two views. For example, if someone calls to be registered for First Aid, I would click on the Courses view, click on the province, click on the city, find the next available First Aid course, hit the Registration button, and fill out the form. That part is fine. However, if I want to check to see if the information saved, or see who else is in the class, I then have to go to the Class List view and navigate to the course all over again. Even worse, if no one has been registered for a class yet, that specific course doesn’t appear in the Class List view at all (because technically, there IS no class list yet). There’s a lot of back-and-forthing.

Everyone wants to see everything in one place. So I’d need them to be able to see the list of courses, click on a specific course, and be taken to the class list. Ideally, the Register button would appear on the class list. How can I make this happen?? The one thing I do need is to maintain a count of how many seats are available, and how many seats are left. Currently, the ‘total seats available’ comes from the Courses tab. I then have it set to count the number of registrations for that particular class and deduct it, to give me “seats left.”

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I’ve been trying to figure it out for weeks now.

0 11 415
11 REPLIES 11

The simplified question is, how can I navigate to a course in the Courses view, and have a button there called “Class List” that would take me to the class list for that specific course? I tried writing the formula but I could only get it to take me to the initial page of the Class List view (showing ALL classes, not the specific one I want). Then when I get to the class list, have the ‘Register’ button appear there to take me to the registration form.

IF I understood your goal correctly, you should be able to do that either with the LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW or LINKTOROW deep link action depending on what the goal is. If you want to open a table view, then LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW, if detail view, then LINKTOROW.

You’re welcome

@Aleksi_Alkio Thanks - I’m guessing LINKTOROW is what I’d need when I want to click on ‘class list’ and have it pull up that specific course. How do I use it when it comes to the formula… ie. how do I reference the specific course that I’m trying to get?

help.appsheet.com - App Column Type (Deep Link) App Column Type (Deep Link) help.appsheet.com

@Aleksi_Alkio So if the example says: LINKTOROW(“order456”, “Order Details”) will navigate to the “Order Details” view in the current app for the row having key “order456”… so I’d use the actual course title in place of “order456”? I’m assuming the course titles would all have to be unique in order for it to work that way. Or is this example saying that the key identifier has to be used for LINKTOROW (my app currently generates one using UniqueID).

Yes, your assuming is correct.

@Aleksi_Alkio On second thought, maybe I’d need LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW. If the list of courses appears on tab 2 of the spreadsheet, and the actual registrations (the class list of participants) appear on tab 1 of the spreadsheet, I couldn’t filter by row.

In order to create the Class List view, I’m using a table view grouped by location and then course name. If I use LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW to get to the Class List view (which I want), how do I create the formula to get to the class list for that specific course?

I’d need to reference the two separate spreadsheet tabs in the formula - ie. I navigate to a course called “Forklift Safety (Sep 20, 2018 | 9am-4pm)” - which comes from tab 2 - and I want a Class List button to appear on that page that connects to the class list for that course – by pulling each participant who’s registered for Forklift Safety (Sep 20, 2018 | 9am-4pm)… which comes from tab 1. I can’t use LINKTOROW because there are multiple rows that would match this course title in the list of participants.

@Aleksi_Alkio I need something like this:

LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(“Class List View”, AND([Course] = [the name of the course appearing on the current page, which is coming from another spreadsheet tab])

Something like… LINKTOFILTEREDVIEW(“Class List View”,[COURSE]=[_THISROW].[COURSE])

@Aleksi_Alkio I got it! Thanks so much for your help and your patience!

Top Labels in this Space