Hey there, I'm having issues with workflow e

fdmsaraiva
Participant V

Hey there,

I’m having issues with workflow emails being sent several times.

The condition to send the email is a signature being collected or a photo being taken by delivery drivers, and somehow I’m getting 2 or 3 seemingly equal signature/photo files with different filenames being saved seconds/minutes apart, and consequently triggering 2 or 3 repeated emails.

I’m guessing there may be a plethora of sync/connectivity issues that may be the cause of these repeated files being saved, so instead of troubleshooting the root cause, I was thinking of adding an [Email sent?] column and have the workflow validate that it is false, so that only the first email is sent.

This however led me to a different problem which is that it seems that a single workflow can’t both send and email and change data, and if I have 2 workflows with the same rules, I’m not seeing how to ensure that the data change workflow always runs after the email workflow.

Thoughts?

Solved Solved
0 5 427
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

I recently asked this question, and was told, possible by Philip himself, that the order they fire is the order that they are listed in the behavior-workflow view. However you cannot click and drag to rearrange them at this time, so you might have to fiddle with copying/deleting/modifying to get them in the right order.

I have also used almost exactly what you are talking about, where the first instance of a triggered workflow sets a flag so that it only sends once, until something else resets that flag variable. It works for me for now.

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5

@Filipe_Damaso_Saraiv

We are in the midst of enhancing workflow to allow you to specify two or more actions for a single workflow rule. These actions will be performed in the order you specify them.

In your case, you could send an email and then perform a DataChange

action.

We are in the midst of implementing this feature. I am not sure how long it will take to finish the feature, but feel free to check back in a week or two.

In the interim, I suggest you take a look at the Audit History. It will show you exactly what updates are being set from the client to the server. It will also show you which workflow rules are being triggered.

See help.appsheet.com - Troubleshooting Workflow Emails . Troubleshooting Workflow Emails help.appsheet.com

fdmsaraiva
Participant V

Thanks @Philip_Garrett_Appsh , I’ll take a look at audit history.

Still, regarding the order in which workflows are run, is there an informal order I could count on to use as a workaround, like them being run sorted by their internal ID, creation date or name?

I recently asked this question, and was told, possible by Philip himself, that the order they fire is the order that they are listed in the behavior-workflow view. However you cannot click and drag to rearrange them at this time, so you might have to fiddle with copying/deleting/modifying to get them in the right order.

I have also used almost exactly what you are talking about, where the first instance of a triggered workflow sets a flag so that it only sends once, until something else resets that flag variable. It works for me for now.

@Filipe_Damaso_Saraiv

Yes, @Marc_Dillon is correct that the workflow rules fire in the order they

are defined. He and others are relying on that and it is not likely to change. However, it is simply a consequence of how the code is implemented.

The new mechanism, I described above, will guarantee the order. It will be a better choice once it is available.

fdmsaraiva
Participant V

Cheers, all clear and working, thanks @Marc_Dillon and @Philip_Garrett_Appsh.

Top Labels in this Space