Hi All, If I want to have full control over w...

Hi All, If I want to have full control over which fields are displayed in a form view, and which of those can be changed I think I have to create show fields for the fields I want to be read only, and inlcude those SHOW fields,and the ones I want editable in a slice.

Is there a simpler way to do it? For example it would be nice to be able to specify that a field is read-only for users for this purpose however last time I did this (or used EDITABLE IF), the app was unable to change the field using a formula. Any plans to improve this? Thanks

0 3 347
  • UX
3 REPLIES 3

I do not understand your point about Show fields, and why you have to use them for a field to be read-only.

Could you explain the issue you had the last time with Editable_if, and how you expect it to be improved?

You should be able to accomplish everything you want wit the existing features.

Use an expression in the Editable_If property of a column to control whether the user can modify the columnโ€™s value. If a column value is blank and is not editable, the column will not be displayed in the form.

Use an expression in the Show_If property of a column to control whether the column is displayed at all in the form. Note the Show_If may also affect visibility outside of forms; see UX > Options > FORMS > Apply show-if constraints universally.

Slices can be used to hide columns the user should neither see nor edit, but cannot make decisions when to expose or hide the columns: everyone is affected.

Show type columns can be used to display column values without allowing the user to edit them. Youโ€™ll then have to manage Show_If expressions for all columns with variable editability.

If you want a column to be modifiable by your app, such as with an Initial value, by an action, or through a workflow, but not modifiable by the user, ensure Editable_If evaluates to FALSE. This prevents the user from affecting the column in a form, but allows the app itself to modify it.

The Read-Only property for a column prevents all modifications, either by the user or be the app, under all circumstances. Use Read-Only for columns with preexisting values that will never change within the app.

Top Labels in this Space