Hi everyone! I am creating an app that track...

Hi everyone!

I am creating an app that tracks the livestock on our farm. I currently have the sheep separated into 3 google sheets/tables; Ewe, Ram, Lamb. I did this initially so that I could track breeding lineage. So an Ewe can have a REF to a lamb and vice versa. The problem i am running into is that a lamb eventually becomes a Ewe or Ram, so I am trying to rethink my structure so that I have a SHEEP table and then a dropdown that allows the user to select the animal type. I am wondering how I can still track the breeding lineage this way?

0 2 411
2 REPLIES 2

Totally agree with your idea of Animal Type in Sheeps table as opposed to have separate tables for Lamb, Ewe, etc.

However regarding Lineage, could you elaborate a little what your concern is, and what type of data you were planning to store in that table? Whatโ€™s the relationship between Lineage table and Sheeps table?

To track lineage maybe you can have โ€œmateโ€, โ€œparent 1โ€, & โ€œparent 2โ€ (or even more) columns in your table, each of which are references to other records in the same table?

Top Labels in this Space