Hi. I am trying to insert an If Else statemen...

Hi. I am trying to insert an If Else statement on a field but I can’t seem to get the syntax right. What is the correct syntax for “If field is empty or has no value?”

0 20 511
20 REPLIES 20

Have you tried IF(ISBLANK(…) , … , …)? If you already knew about it, please explain more details about the problem. help.appsheet.com - IF() IF() help.appsheet.com

Hi Reza. Thanks for that. I have a Yes/No field called recheck. It as an initial value of FALSE but on my edit screen if the [Checker] field is updated with an entry I want the Recheck field to revert to TRUE. Hope this make sense.

@PDM_Business_Support

You can use UNIQUEID() expression in the Initial Value which is a text type, RFC 4122 compliant GUID

Yes, it can; have you tried UNIQUEID() function? For more details about Key I recommend reading these articles: https://intercom.help/appsheet/data/keys/what-is-a-key

https://intercom.help/appsheet/data/keys/manually-generating-uniqueid-key-values

@RezaRaoofi it’s UNIQUEID() bud😉

Great thanks guys. @Reza I am getting a ‘ISBLANK function is used incorrectly’ error when I tried your suggestion on the recheck field.

Oops, sorry, I did not see your comment! Corrected it now, even though you had already mentioned the same thing!

@PDM_Business_Support

@RezaRaoofi is a speedy typer, he had forgotten to close the paranthesis.

IF(ISBLANK([Checker]), false, true)

@PDM_Business_Support sorry, I forgot to close the parenthesis. Well, @Levent_KULACOGLU corrected me! I also corrected it in my previous comment, so it wouldn’t mislead others in the future.

Guys thanks a million. You are a great help.

@PDM_Business_Support You are welcome! Thanks to Levent that corrected my typos!

@RezaRaoofi call me Speedy Gonzales bud

@PDM_Business_Support

For your [Recheck] column, you have to turn on Reset on every edit property. Initial values are only computed during a new entry, they are not re-computed on editing an existing record.

Do you mean you need the Initial Value for [recheck] column needs to be conditional based on [Checker] column’s value, and if [Checker]'s value is not blank it should be TRUE, otherwise remain FALSE?

Exactly

Then you need to enter an expression like this in [Recheck]'s Initial Value: IF(ISBLANK([Checker]), false, true))

Then as Levent mentioned, if you need this to also happen on every consequent edit in the future, you could switch Reset on every edit property ON.

Thanks Reza. On a separate point, if I have a google spreadsheet, with Timestamp as the Key field, being updated through the app from multiple tablets, could there be an issue with saving if 2 records are stored at the exact same time to the second?

Yes, it might be rare, but theoretically it is not impossible, and could cause duplicate key.

@PDM_Business_Support

That’s rare but possible unfortunately. It will be better if you use a unique id as a key column value

The timestamp is the closest thing I have. Can the app allow me to generate a unique ref for each record entered?

Top Labels in this Space