Hi. I have 2 tables and a column in the first...

(Balakumar Krishnamurthi) #1

Hi. I have 2 tables and a column in the first table has an APP FORMULA that uses data from the second table. When I add or update records in the second table, I want a work flow to update the result of the formula in the first table’s row. I am not able to find a way to do it. Can any one give me a suggestion?

Thanks

Bala

(Steven Coile) #2

The app formula should automatically update when data it uses changes.

(Balakumar Krishnamurthi) #3

This happens when I have the row of first table in edit mode. But when I add/edit a row in the second table separately, this does not work.

(Aleksi Alkio) #4

If you want this will happen dynamically, you would need to use virtual columns instead if normal columns.

(Balakumar Krishnamurthi) #5

Ok. LIke how you have shown in Order Capture app. But do you have plans to implement the same in future?

(Balakumar Krishnamurthi) #6

I did find a way using Virtual columns. I created a virtual column like you said and did the calculation in it. In the action, I just copied the virtual column’s value to the normal column. Though it took some time, it solved the purpose. I needed the updated data in the excel sheet.

Just one suggestion. Is using this method efficient or having Spreadsheet formula efficient for the apps working?

(Aleksi Alkio) #7

It depends do you need that data without syncing or not.

(Balakumar Krishnamurthi) #8

I prefer to have it before syncing, but I do not mind getting it updated a bit later too.

(Aleksi Alkio) #9

If you use the Sync option “Automatic updates” as ON, the event action will happen on the background. If your virtual column’s app formula is a simple one, I would probably go with that one if it’s better to see the result before syncing.

(Balakumar Krishnamurthi) #10

I have the automatic updates turned on. The formula in the virtual columns is

“=SUM ( SELECT ( IT07 VMC Comp Log[RUNNING TIME], [MACHINE LOG ENTRY] = [_THISROW].[KEY]))”

With the automatic updates turned on too, the value changes after the first automatic sync. I hope it is the same as you told. If there is a faster way, let me know.