Hi, I have a Display Name problem. I tried t...

Hi,

I have a Display Name problem. I tried to make a multi-language app using a table for the translated phrases. It works well in Detail view but not in Table view. In Table view the Column name is not replaced if I put an expression in Display Name. However if a simple text used, it works in Table view as well.

It is a bug or I missed something?

I tried it with Lookup (=LOOKUP([UserLang], Language, Language, TranslatedPhrase)) and with using a virtual column ([VirtualColumnContainingTranslatedPhrase]) but none of them worked.

Roman

0 5 343
5 REPLIES 5

Is this [UserLang] a ref field?

No, but uses a deref expression.

I mean the [UserLang] refers to a linked table, where the language of every user is permanently stored.

The Display Name formula of a view is not attached to any row of any table, so a column value reference (e.g., [UserLang]) is meaningless (and silently ignored, which is a bug).

Youโ€™ll have to be more sophisticated in your lookup attempt, given that you donโ€™t have a specific row to use. For instance, if the โ€œlinked table, where the language of every user is permanently storedโ€, is indexed by the userโ€™s email address, you can get the userโ€™s language preference with:

LOOKUP(USEREMAIL(), โ€œUserInfoโ€, โ€œUserEmailโ€, โ€œUserLangโ€)

then use that in place of [UserLang] in your formula:

=LOOKUP(LOOKUP(USEREMAIL(), โ€œUserInfoโ€, โ€œUserEmailโ€, โ€œUserLangโ€), โ€œLanguageโ€, โ€œLanguageโ€, โ€œTranslatedPhraseโ€)

replacing UserEmail and UserInfo with appropriate names.

+Steve Coile Thanks! It works in View names but still not in the column display names in Table view.

Now I solved the problem with no headings in table view.

Top Labels in this Space