Hi, I’m having the debit and credit transacti...

Hi, I’m having the debit and credit transaction for a customer, may I know how to compute the running total value after each transaction?

0 4 1,095
4 REPLIES 4

Hi Ciecy,

there a couple ways to do this.

The simplest way would be:

set up a column on your spreadsheet called Running Total and put the formula in that column that (adds the previous running total + Debit - Credit ).

In the app, when you add a new transaction for a customer, your spreadsheet will calculate the running total and it should show up on the transaction in the app after you save and sync.

@Mary_Jane_Pender, your idea would require an app resync after each transaction. That is most definitely not the simplest way.

Instead, a virtual column can maintain the running total:

=(sum(select(Transactions[credit], in([custID], list([_thisrow].[custID])))) - sum(select(Transactions[debit], in([custID], list([_thisrow].[custID])))))

Or, if credits and debits are represented as positive and negative numbers in the [amt] column:

=sum(select(Transactions[amt], in([custID], list([_thisrow].[custID]))))

I realize my suggestion requires the sync after and may not be the most elegant solution but I was concerned that over time the SUM expression could slow down as the transactions increased in number.

Ciecy, along with my suggested solution I should have also added that I would create an action that would do the sync.

Steven’s suggested solution would be OK if you do not expect to have hundreds of transactions per customer.

Top Labels in this Space