Hi, I recently had an issue when trying to s...

Hi,

I recently had an issue when trying to select data from a table. I used an ANY(SELECT( function, which had worked perfectly on several other tables.

In this particular table, however, I was looking to select based on whether a particular text value appeared in a column.

So I was looking for, say, โ€œT5โ€, in a column with values โ€œT2, T5, T9, T18, T27, T58โ€ using the CONTAINS() function. It wouldnโ€™t do itโ€ฆit couldnโ€™t โ€œfindโ€ the value โ€œT5โ€ in that list, and hence returned the wrong data from the table.

When I replace the T numbers with words, so for example, looking for โ€œBruceโ€ in the column containing โ€œAdam, Adrian, Bruce, Craig, Dave, Michaelโ€, then it works perfectly, finding โ€œBruceโ€, and hence selecting the correct data.

Is this a bug? Or something I am not understanding about the nature of the data?

I managed to make my select function work, but only by replaccing the T numbers with the longer words they were representing. I had to type a lot of words in!

Cheers

Craig

0 10 340
10 REPLIES 10

Would you please give us the formula first you were using, thanks.

Something like this:

=IFS(

[WidthRequired]=600, ANY(SELECT(Blinds[600], AND([Length]=[_ThisRow].[LengthRequired],CONTAINS([Colours],[_ThisRow].[ColourCode1])) )) )

Where [ColourCode1] is the data T1, T2, T5, etc etc.

Try withโ€ฆ

IFS( [WidthRequired]=600, ANY(SELECT(Blinds[600], AND([Length]=[_ThisRow].[LengthRequired],CONTAINS([_ThisRow].[ColourCode1],[Colours])) )) )

I managed to sort the problem, the long way around before I posted hereโ€ฆ I used exactly the same formula but with words instead of T numbers to search for. It workedโ€ฆ so if youir suggestion

works, then order of the statement in the CONTAINS() instruction only applies in certain casesโ€ฆ strange!

Or is it possible that in that record you had only one option and then it could find a solution bcause situation was like โ€œBruceโ€ = โ€œBruceโ€?

But each of the T numbers were uniqueโ€ฆ

โ€ฆ unless, there is some confusion between searching for T5 and T54, both of them containing the string T5โ€ฆ

โ€ฆ to test this, I made it search for T8017, which only occurred once. It still didnโ€™t find it, and returned incorrect dataโ€ฆ

May I ask what is the app name and account ID? I can check the reason quickly if itโ€™s okay for you.

CONTAINS will find both of them for sure. If your [ColourCode1] field is an EnumList, it could be better idea to use IN expression instead of CONTAINS.

The data is no longer in the app in the form where it doesnโ€™t work. I changed it because I couldnโ€™t get around the problem. You wonโ€™t see the problem in there nowโ€ฆ Sorry.

I just posted in case it was a bug, or something. At least there are a couple of things I can try if it happens againโ€ฆ

Gotcha

Top Labels in this Space