Hi-I was wondering if it possible to have fea...

Hi-I was wondering if it possible to have feature that automatically selects an entry if it is from a Valid_If dropdown list? For example, If i create a lookup table in order to populate a form; I have to click each entry once I select the entry fro, each list. There is a way to manually write an app expression to over come this but it would be great if there was a option so it was selected automatically

See referenced post below for more details

0 10 352
10 REPLIES 10

You can use a columnโ€™s Initial value property to do just this!

+Steve Coile Hey Steve, What would the syntax be? I tried several expressions but nothing stuck. Would I remove the Valid-If expression completely?

Youโ€™d leave the Valid_If if you want to give the user the option to choose something else.

Do you want to impose a choice that the user canโ€™t change, or do you just want to make an initial choice?

For the Initial value, you need a formula that produces a single result. The Valid_If produces a list. The easiest way to make an Initial value formula from a Valid_If formula is to copy the Valid_If expression to Initial value and wrap it in ANY(), which will pull out one arbitrary item from the list.

+Steve Coile I just want to make the initial choice. Its basically a way to speed up user entry

@Elijah_Magrane, then leave the formula in the Valid_If.

+Steve Coile Unfortunately, that doesnโ€™t really solve the problem as just tries to select a random entry in the list. What I need to be able to have my dependent dropdowns selections be automatically selected. See hereโ€ฆhttps://plus.google.com/105232437735653495426/posts/gVZSpzihT1c

The other article provides no information.

How many options does your dependent dropdown offer the user? One? Then ANY() gets you what you want. More than one? How do you decide which one to pick?

You arenโ€™t making it easy for me to help you.

+Steve Coile Sorry if things are unclear. The above example is literally my exact situation so I thought it would be helpful (I believe your the one who provided solution). Ill try to think about and formulate my question better. Thanks for the help

Top Labels in this Space