Hi. My app has 5 slice views and 1 view dire...

Hi.

My app has 5 slice views and 1 view direct from the excel spreadsheet data.

Note that all of the slices point to the same excel spreadsheet for data.

-The slice views allow me to set the Update Modeโ€ฆ Updates, Adds, Deletes, Read-Only.

This is great.

-Currently the one non-slice view allows the user to add records but I donโ€™t want the user to be able to add records in the non-slice view.

Questionโ€ฆ is it possible to control the Update Mode in non-slice views?

0 19 482
19 REPLIES 19

Also, considering that all the slice views point to the one dat spreadsheet view, how can I remove the spreadsheet data view from the app without breaking the slice views that pull data from the spreadsheet view?

If you want to use Adds in your slices, you canโ€™t remove the Adds from the original table. If you do that, you will not have that functionality in the slice anymore. You can remove that original view because it has nothing to do with the slice views. The data for these slices is coming from the table, not from the view.

Remove the original view away and create an additional slice/view so you can remove the Adds away

Maybe I simply need to create a new slice.

Then have the 1 of 7 views point to the new slice as data source rather than it pointing to the original table.

This way all views are slices with their own independent Access Update Mode settings.

Ok just got your response.

Looks like the same idea.

Questionโ€ฆ are apps that are designed w multiple views typically only using slices for view data?

Other questionโ€ฆ The app will be used by multiple managers within our company.

Is it possible for all managers to view all records but only be able to edit records related to their own name?

Currently each record is identified w a single manger name.

The goal is for each manager to view and edit their own records but also able to view ONLY other manager records.

#1 question - there is now correct answer. Sometimes they are and sometimes no slices at all #2 question - you an use Editable_If feature for that purpose.

Thanks again!

Editable_Ifโ€ฆ Data>Columns> My app needs all the columns to be editable by any manager providing the โ€˜manager nameโ€™ column matches the manager making the edits to records associated to his name.

Will you please let me know what expression would work in the Editable_If field.

You could type into the Editable_If like [EmailColumn]=USEREMAIL()

@Aleksi_Alkio Thanks! Translate

@Aleksi_Alkio Thanks.

Seems to me that deleting the original table Data>Table>delete

will create a problem for the slice because when I examine the slices via the editor ea slice states that Its data is the original table.

Iโ€™ll send screen shoots nextโ€ฆ

Original table named hook rate development with its source as hook rate development.xlsx

Slice named WIP Slice with data from hook rate development

What access option you have in your slice, those you can use in your slice. If the delete is not chosen, you canโ€™t use it in the slice.

I would think that if the slice was getting info from the spreadsheet then the slice data would be hook rate development.xlsx.

Iโ€™m concerned about deleting the original view because the slice doesnโ€™t say its data is from the .xlsx Hope my concern makes sense and that I need to understand more before I delete the original table from the app.

Thanks!

Not sure I understand your response just yetโ€ฆ the delete Iโ€™m referring to is not the access delete but rather the delete button in the table editorโ€ฆ

When you have created the app, it will create table(s) into your app. That table is then the source for your views. It doesnโ€™t matter what views you delete, the table is still in your app. You can delete what ever view you want, but donโ€™t delete the table(s).

Ok that makes sense.

I didnโ€™t and wonโ€™t delete any tables listed in the editor.

Still have a questionโ€ฆ 6 of my 7 views use slices for data source.

I am able to set the Access Update Mode within the slice settings.

My problem is that 1 of my 7 views uses hook rate development table, not a slice, as data source which is apparently the table originally created by appsheet.

If I turn off โ€˜Addsโ€™ in this table then appsheet wonโ€™t allow the slices to have โ€˜Addsโ€™ turned on because the slices data comes from the original table.

Ultimately I want views driven by slices to have โ€˜Addsโ€™ turned on but I also want the one view driven by the original table to have โ€˜Addsโ€™ turned off.

Seems like a catch 22. Hope this makes sense.

Top Labels in this Space