Hi team, Is it possible to use the APP Colum

Hi team,

Is it possible to use the APP Column type (or any other column type) to display a button and then when the button is clicked trigger a LINKTOFORM action?

A simpler way to say it is that I’d like to be able to trigger an action for with a column.

I’ve changed the column from a REF type to the APP type and added the LINKTOFORM expression. But when I do it shows the following.

http://www.screencast.com/t/sQDG1T8p

When I click on the Creating from lack link it takes me to a system view that I instead of to the form that I created in my app formula.

I did a second test where I added a default value into the spreadsheet, but it keeps taking me to a random system generated view instead of the view I’ve defined in the App Formula column.

0 7 393
7 REPLIES 7

Create a deep link action with the LINKTOFORM and then show it as “Display inline”. When you do that, you can attach it to a column and it will then show it in your detail view as an icon.

Thank you @Aleksi_Alkio for showing me the way. This is absolutely brilliant!! Your team just keeps adding in more wow-power. AppSheet continues to blow my mind and rock my world.

Team could we get this added to this article below.

help.appsheet.com - App Column Type (Deep Link)

I did start by reading this article thoroughly first but didn’t see anything in the article about the how-to as Aleksi has offered above. App Column Type (Deep Link) help.appsheet.com

@Aleksi_Alkio I’m still missing something. As I see it there are three areas that impact the display: The spreadsheet/data source, the column/column type and the action. It doesn’t seem to work unless all three are working together.

I changed the column type from Ref to APP and added the LINKTOFORM expression under the app formula in the column as it didn’t work without that.

I created the action and attached to the desired column. I also added a display name which doesn’t seem to do anything.

When I leave the column in the spreadsheet/data source blank, the column and the inline action icon do not appear in my detail view at all. (screenshot 1 below)

screencast.com - 2018-10-27_09-08-24.png

When I have something written as a value in the actual spreadsheet/data source the action icon appears in line. But it also creates a second link in front of the action that takes the user to a system generated list of entries. (see screenshot 2 below)

https://www.screencast.com/t/mM9efrok 2018-10-27_09-08-24.png screencast.com

In generally your action button and the column type have nothing to do with each other. Your column type can be as text if there is any other reason in the background.

If your column is sometimes blank, you could attach that action to a different column or you could create a very simple virtual column for that attachment… for example IF(ISBLANK([ColumnName],“No value”,[ColumnName]) and then show this column instead of the original column.

Thanks @Aleksi_Alkio I did get this working. I’m delighted to have this functionality in my app now as it makes the UX that so much smoother and intuitive. Sending you much gratitude.

You’re welcome

Top Labels in this Space