Hi there I want to ask about white label app!...

Hi there I want to ask about white label app!!

What I know about creating a personal app, The information and data that I have put in the app are stored in an excel sheet-connected to google drive or any other cloud site โ€ฆ and I have to be connected to the internet to SYNC my entries.

So my questions are: 1- When I create an app with white label to ditribute through google play store, does the (APK file) store the data in the app it self? So there is no need to the excel sheet anymore!! 2- and does it have to be connected to the internet?

Thanks in advance

0 7 474
7 REPLIES 7

The white label app must still use an internet-connect data store, such as an Excel or Google Sheets spreadsheet; the data is not stored in the app itself or in the APK.

So the Email I signed in with to create the app, should be signed in always!! And another thing, when I distribute the app through app stores, do clients work on the same spreadsheet or what?!!

Please any feedback about how the white label app work when distributed to app stores that so many people download it and work on it (what is the proccess), and if it is explained by steps from scratch, if you would.

Thank you in advance.

Update: Reading further . is this the Private Table option?

I too would like to understand how a user who downloads the app from the App or Play Store handles the data storage. Are they prompted to link to a source (Dropbox, Google Sheets) etc and then the appropriate sheet is created with no data? From then on their data is then entered into their own sheet in the specified location?
If not like this, then how does it work for individual and unrelated users who purchase the app?

As a followup question, does the author have access to the data of the customers who sign up?

@Marlene_Williamson,
When a user opens and app that has private tables they will have to give AppSheet access to their data source, so AppSheet can copy the original table and also read and write to it when the user using the app.
All data changes to that table would be written to the userโ€™s private table.

An alternative approach would be to use security filters, for example:
Each row will capture the USEREMAIL() of the user that added it, and a security filter will make sure each user sees only rows added by them. Maybe the app author want to add the ability for himself the see all the data in his app.
This way, all the data is in the same spreadsheet, but each user can only see the data relevant to him.

@Gerald_Kariuki,
The app author donโ€™t have access to the userโ€™s private table, however, they could use the audit log to see data changes made from the app.

Everything I mentioned above holds for both white labeled apps and non white labeled apps.
For more info about private tables:

Thanks Gil - explained perfectly.

Thanks @Gil for taking the time to respond. Studying Private Tables now.
Cheers

Top Labels in this Space