Hi, when clicking the Edit Button, there is a...

Arnaud_B
Participant V

Hi, when clicking the Edit Button, there is a lot of Virtual Fields that appear on the form. How to hide them ?

0 9 420
9 REPLIES 9

Use SHOW_IF field value as 1=2, which is mathematically false and may never show your field. Hope it helps, else revert.

Arnaud_B
Participant V

@Shreeram_Iyer Is it

not the same thing as Hidden option ?

@Arnaud_B Hidden is permanent. This is for SHOW_IF with conditional show on desired UI. Another way is , In the slice which you use for Add / Update Form, choose only the limited columns that can appear on the form

No need to type 1=0, typing FALSE is enough.

Arnaud_B
Participant V

@Shreeram_Iyer If i remove column from slices, then impossible to see values in table view โ€ฆ then, iโ€™m going to set =FALSE to the fields

EDIT: setting =FALSE to field make them invisible in all view โ€ฆ i just need to remove them from editing form โ€ฆ

Presuming you are using slice and not table for the view, my point was If you do not include those columns in the slice, it may not show up.

You have an option Apply show-if constraints universally as ON. Change it to OFF. You can find it from UX > Options.

Arnaud_B
Participant V

@Aleksi_Alkio THX, itโ€™s OK Translate

Iโ€™ve discovered that itโ€™s a good idea to always use slices atop your tables, and to always base your UX on slices rather than on tables directly.

My realization came in part because of the very problem you describe: virtual columnsโ€“not intended for the userโ€“are exposed when the user edits a row.

After I add a table to my app, I immediately create a slice corresponding to it. Initially (at least), I leave the Row filter condition blank so that all rows of the table are included.

Once the slice is in place, all UX views should be tied to the slice, not to the table. The slice allows me to re-order the columns as they appear in the Form view when I add or edit a row. It also allows me to omit columns that my UX should not expose to the user.

For columns that do need to be exposed by some UX elements but that I want hidden in forms, I create a virtual column named [hidden] with an App formula of ="". After creating the virtual column, I change its type from Text to Show, and set its Show_If to =false. Finally, I go to the slice configuration, add [hidden] to the slice, and reorder the columns so that the columns I want visible in form occur above [hidden] and those I want hidden occur below. The Show-type column will default to the Page_Header category, which puts all columns below [hidden] on a new page. Setting Show_If to =false then hides that pageโ€“and everything on it!โ€“from the user while in the Form view. With this trick, you donโ€™t need to hide the columns individually. THIS APPROACH MAY NOT WORK IF YOU HAVE OTHER Page_Header SHOW COLUMNS IN THE SAME TABLE!

Top Labels in this Space