Hierarchy Views

Expanding Tree - root/node style
Chart Style - Think org Structure
And as a group and sort option for drilling, tables/decks…

All we would need to do is indicate which column in the table contains the Parent Ref…
Maybe a customization on what level to start at, and hide/show “blank” levels…

Hierarchy is a easily achieved by having a REF column within that table the ties back to the same table… So the user can indicate the parent… EX: an employee table could have a REF column back to the employee table to select that person supervisor. With the Chart style view we could then look at a dynamic org chart that we can click and pan on. Or with the Tree, we could drill into it by supervisor.

@morgan Pretty Please?!
@praveen With sugar on top!

Status Not Planned
87 51 5,902
51 Comments
Grant_Stead
Participant V

And yes, I currently “fake it till we make it” So, I’ve got plenty of creative workarounds…

Aleksi
Staff

Are you able to show some kind of sample?

Grant_Stead
Participant V

Grant_Stead
Participant V

2X_2_23f512ffc107c255ee54bde15d46a40f038e9758.png

Grant_Stead
Participant V

It’s also great for all kinds of data not just personnel… Think project and task… Or time based, year, month, days… Or location USA > Texas > Austin… It’s an automatic ISAPARTOF…

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sql/relational-databases/hierarchical-data-sql-server?view=sql-serv...

crprocone_CR
Participant I

Would like something similar for viewing parent/child relationships in a table - eg with Bill of Materials and subassemblies - similar to grouping in Excel. (Image attached just the quickest one I could find online that illustrates the usefulness). That would unlock significant power in Appsheet for us.

2X_d_dc0f5bae41ed2f1140364a0b069daeb2675e5a63.png

Rod
Participant V

Love it!

Rod
Participant V

Grant, just a thought, if I can export mind maps to a spreadsheet, would nice to import that table into an app.

Grant_Stead
Participant V

Exactly, it allows you to have undefined layers… Contract structure and cost codes is another one…

Grant_Stead
Participant V

Bump, please vote. This cuts down on the number of tables you’ll probably need to get awesome drilling, and trees, and charts!

Grant_Stead
Participant V

@morgan @praveen Was thinking back to an earlier thought of mine, but wanted to pin it here…
A specialized REF column would seal the deal “REF - Hierarchy.” This would clear up plenty of things, automatically referencing the key column of that table, and each table can only have one. Then in the group and sort we could simply select “Hierarchy”. Or maybe it still deserves it’s own fancy views?

We also need other types of REFs so maybe a ref subtype would be valuable. many to one, 1:1, and Hierarchy

hcquadros
Participant IV

It is a great idea!

We already can see Related List on a deck view, “Nested Table Collumn” feature. Perhaps it would be a simpler solution to just add a show/hide button for the Nested Table.

Also, if the the row height could adjust for the number of nested rows, maybe set a limit height in which the vertical scroll bar would appear, but no minimum height.

Now the rows have a fixed height, which looks strange when the Parent record have few or no Child Record (see image).

2X_4_4baff81b049cd0034a8e74bbf0e096cd18c0025d.png

Vivian_Nowka-Ke
Participant II

I’d love to use this functionality to limit what data users can see. For example, the “root” of the tree of a project is the Primary Contractor. They can hire subcontractors (child nodes), who themselves can hire subcontractors, and so on. I want any contractor to be able to open the app and see their data and data from their “descendants” (any subcontractors they hire, or that their subcontractors hire).
As of now I have an Owner app that displays data from all contractors on the job, but what I really need is a Contractor app that drills down the data.

Grant_Stead
Participant V

Yes, exactly. I’m currently doing this, but it’s a bit janky and relies on spreadsheet calculations…

Vivian_Nowka-Ke
Participant II

What kind of spreadsheet calculations allow that? I’d be very interested in trying them out.