How can i let the program create key automati...

(UNITED SKATEBOARDS) #1

How can i let the program create key automatically in succession ?

I tried using the function UNIQUEID() but it is giving random key numbers ( Not in succession )

(Aleksi Alkio) #2

What kind of key value are you looking for?

(Fernando López) #3

If the new record it’s been created by many users, the answer is No, you can’t create a sequential key (chevk this https://help.appsheet.com/data/keys/sequential-keys) . If the creation of the record is managed just by one person you can use this:

In the INITIAL_VALUE option of your ID (or Key) column code this:

=COUNT(YourTable[ID]) + 1

Sequential Keys help.appsheet.com

(Fernando López) #4

@Suvrutt_Gurjar jejeje I think we’re SYNC

(Aleksi Alkio) #5

Guys… let’s see first what kind of key he is needing :slight_smile:

(Suvrutt Gurjar) #6

@Aleksi_Alkio, Fully agreed. As usual your approach is properly

methodical.

(UNITED SKATEBOARDS) #7

Good Day,

Example, I have column named [ID]. I am going to insert integers as date in this column. Obviously those numbers dont start from zero. Let us say that number I entered is 201832 first entry when I create a new record, I need the program to increment value by 1. So new record [ID] will be 201833. The function ( =COUNT(YourTable[ID]) + 1 )

you gave me, if first entry is 201832. The second entry by program is 2 not 201833. Your function ( =COUNT(YourTable[ID]) + 1 ) is counting number of entries to give new id.

Thank you all

(Aleksi Alkio) #8

You can use MAX(TableName[ID])+1 in initial value field but please remember that if you have more than one user or one user with two devices, you probably will have duplicates.

(UNITED SKATEBOARDS) #9

@Aleksi_Alkio

Dear brother

Thank you very very very much. this is what I was looking for. It works fine. :slight_smile:

Just in case, is there any other way we can use this function without duplication (If there is more than one user)

(Aleksi Alkio) #10

I’m afraid that won’t be possible.

(Suvrutt Gurjar) #11

Hi @UNITED_SKATEBOARDS Sequential keys

is not a recommended practice. I request you to go through the following article-

help.appsheet.com - Sequential Keys Sequential Keys help.appsheet.com