How can you insert the time of day [ HH:MM:SS...

How can you insert the time of day [ HH:MM:SS ] from the Smartphone Device into the App field ?

0 25 1,442
25 REPLIES 25

Add a Time type field to your table and use TIMENOW() as an initial value. Every time when you create a new record, it will save this value to your database.

Hi @John_Broughall, If you mean to capture the current time

from the device into an app field by tapping an action

button

by the app user, yes you can do so by creating an action on a time type column that updates the time column with TIMENOW()

Do you want to capture the time or the duration?

@Aleksi_Alkio Hi

I want to capture the time at the Start and the Time at the Finish [ which could be 5 miles apart ] and send them to the spreadsheet to calculate the Elapsed Time.

May I ask how can you do that from the same place? Would you please describe the process with the time(s), thanks.

@Aleksi_Alkio A Rally Stage has a Start and a Finish. I attach a diagrammatic stage as an example.

One Operator has one smartphone with the Scoring App at the Start and another Operator has a second Smartphone with the Scoring App at the Finish, both feeding into the same Results spreadsheet. Photo

@Aleksi_Alkio

The Results spreadsheet is monitored by the Scorer [ the Results Manager ].

He will full editorial rights to change / amend / correct the Start and Finish times, if they incorrect.

If he only had the Elapse times, he would have no audit trail to check.

He will will be the Data Moderator.

Do they fill the same record or are they two different records?

@Aleksi_Alkio The Stage #, the Post [ SS / SF ] and the Car #

are concatenated to form a unique Code in the spreadsheet [ such as 2SS13 for the second stage, the stage start for car # 13 ]. That Code with the time is used to put the Time in the correct cell in the spreadsheet.

The Start may TX a time with the code 2SS13. The Finish may TX a time with the code of 2SF13. These time are put automatically into adjoining cells and the Elapsed time computed.

Sorryโ€ฆ badly explained from me. I try againโ€ฆ when you save the start and end time, are they two different records or do you open the existing record and then add the end time into that same record?

@Aleksi_Alkio

On some events, there may be, say, four different locations for the Stages, each having a Start Operator and a Finish Operator. There could be eight inputting Apps operating at the same time, but each would have a distinct Stage # and district Post, so their respective Codes would be unique as far as the single Results spreadsheet was concerned.

I just need your help to capture the raw data of Stage #,

Post, Car # and Time into a Google Spreadsheet and I know what I want to do downstream of the data inputting to get to the Results summary to be Posted on the Web.

Thank you

• this is part of my Rally Timing Project. I would like to create the Timenow() and then be able to amend the minutes and seconds.

It would be a simpler way to insert the time, as the data capture would be within a minute of the Rally Time and just need to be fine tuned to the actual time for Posting into the Sheet.

Is that Possible. ?

I will try againโ€ฆ You have one record for one Stage# and Car#. You add the start time when you create that record. When the car is finishing the same Stage#, do you save the end time into the same existing record or not?

@Aleksi_Alkio I need to keep it simple and transparent to get it accepted by the old Scorer, [ who is a little set in his ways ].

Each Record [ Data string ] will be submitted independently to the Spreadsheet. The Start and finish times are separate entry Records in the spreadsheet.

I need to do this now, because any calculations โ€™ behind the scenes โ€™ will confuse the Scorer.

I do have future ambitions for the App, but I canโ€™t work on them now.

At some time in the future, I would like the smartphone to actually time the car using Satellite time, so you only enter the Car # at each end.

The ultimate goal would be automatic timing to automatic Results

but NOT YET !.

@Aleksi_Alkio No

They are separate records.

The attached photograph shows what I expect to receive into the spreadsheet. There are a succession of Start

times and then interspersed times of starts and finishes.

The stage takes about

6 minutes.

The Stage, the Post and the Car # are concatenated in the spreadsheet into the first column to form the Unique code.

That photo shows the vlookup Table, where the first column is the reference and the inputted time to the subsequent sheets is in column 5.

@Aleksi_Alkio

The vLookup table feeds the Results Calc sheet. The grey font column will be hidden. The Elapse time is calculated.

@Aleksi_Alkio

The Results Calc sheet feeds the Results Summary sheet, which will be Posted onto the Internet for everyone to viewโ€ฆ

@Aleksi_Alkio

I would appreciate your assistance.

I seem to be going around in circles with Stephen Mattison relating to my Application using appsheet to collect time data at the Start and Finish of, say, 12 stages, for up to 99 cars, to compute the elapse times [ Finish - Start times ] to produce a table of elapsed times with the lowest cumulative score winning. Stephen thinks that I should do all the computation in the App and I was expecting to use the App to gather time Data at two or more locations into a Google spreadsheet.

We seem to be running into a small problem by not having a column for HH:MM:SS for a 24 hour clock

Do you know anyone who could help me sort this matter out ?

May I ask what is the issue with the time format?

@Aleksi_Alkio Stephen Mattison has been kindly helping me. He advised me that Appsheets only has a row type for 12 hour clock [ HH:MM:SS and AM / PM ], However, he may be wrong.

I am trying to build an Appsheet to collect data at the Start and Finish of a Car Rally Stage comprising of Stage # [ 1 -12 ],

Post [ SS, SF, TC ], and Car # [ 1 - 99 ]. That data is concatenated to make a unique code [

e.g. 1SS13 for Stage 1, the time of the Stage Start for Car 13 ]

Plus a time of HH:MM:SS [ 24 hour format ].

I donโ€™t want to enter the same Stage # and Post new to every form as they will remain the same for the whole running of that Stage.

To simplify the data entry, I would like a copy of the previous Form to be the next Form, so that the Stage / Post remain the same and the the car number is changed up, normally by one, as the cars run in numerical order usually. The time will normally be changed up by one minute.

Can the Form of one Entry be copied to the next Form and then amended slightly ? ?

One way to input the time would be to capture the Device time by pushing a Button to give a reading of HH:MM:SS, then amend it slightly, as the Hour and the Minute would probably be correct and the just the seconds would need to be corrected before it is ENTERED into the remote Spreadsheet.

I would appreciate your advice as to whether I am chasing the impossible objective and I should just abandon the Project.

Do you know anyone who has done this type of project before ?

You can read the last record with a suitable formula and then use it as an initial value. Because itโ€™s an initial value, you can still modify it. I can think you could do this for Stage, Post, Car, Hour and Minute (plus one) and then I would use two number fields like 0โ€ฆ9 so it would be easy to fill your seconds. Hour and Minute fields could be numbers with plus/minus buttons.

When you have done that, you can convert these values as you like.

And please rememberโ€ฆ Iโ€™m coming from the country of Ralley

@Aleksi_Alkio

OK

• You have sparked my curiosity about your location Comment -

do you came from the birth place of my classic 1972 SAAB 99 , or nearby ?

I note that a formula can be used to copy the contents of one Form to the next Form.

Are you able to tell me that formula and where I can put it ?

I am familiar with formulas in Excel.

Do I require a trigger [ Button ] to open the next Form with the previous contents ?

Would you have the time to give me a working example from the attached file. ?

@Aleksi_Alkio docs.google.com - Appsheet K2

Appsheet K2 docs.google.com

@Aleksi_Alkio

I think that Stephen Mattison is too busy with his Seasonal Business [ professional Christmas Lights ] and is on the margins of his knowledge. I think that he is withdrawing from this project. Can you please help me or provide me with a named Contact who could help me ?

On Appsheet J1, I wish to capture the Stage [ range 01 - 12 ], the Post [ SS,SF,TC ] and the Car number [ range 01-99 ] and the Time. For the Stage and Post, it may be desirable to use some shortcut data input methods like enum or dependant dropdowns, [ or any other way to get the selection inputted ]. It would be good if the data entered on one Form becomes the carried forward initial input to the next Form, including the car #โ€ฆ In that way, the the car # may only need to be increased by +1, and the Stage and Post will be pre loaded. With the time, it offers HH:MM:SS to SET the time, which can be scrolled up and down on the touch screen. The offered HH is normally correct and the MM is either correct or close + / - 1.

The Seconds start as โ€™ 00 โ€™ or can be keyed in using a standard Keypad.

From my amateur attempt at an App, it registered in the Appsheet J1 in the correct cells.

I would like to refine this process to be as intuitive as possible.

Do you have a ideas or the alternative ways to input the required data within the restricted ranges. I am not clear what the โ€™ Time โ€™ function does. As it refers to โ€™ set ', is it resetting the Device time or just setting the time in the App ? The Appsheet J1 is the basic input sheet only. The rest of the spreadsheet to produce the Rally Results was just causing confusion.

When I have the data capture bit sorted out, I can bolt it into the full spreadsheet.

This is a voluntary, hobby use, which I would like to use on some planned rallies in the foreseeable future. Your assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Appsheet J1 docs.google.com

Top Labels in this Space