How do i auto populate a field/value based on the dropdown?

I have a dropwdown menu that shows the value after the user selects the field in the dropdown menu. However, i do not want the user to then have to click the value shown:

Before the user has chosen value from dropdown menu:

After the user has chosen the value from the dropdown menu:

I do not want the user to have to click (4324) from my example above. I wan that value to automatically be chosen

Solved Solved
0 15 2,167
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

1. For the Category column, set Type to Text.

2. For the GL Code column set the Initial value expression to:

LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Category], "GL CODE TABLE", "Category", "GL CODE")

View solution in original post

15 REPLIES 15

You could use a virtual Column for the GL Code and a formula with a Lookup function?

Also looks like your reference in the Category is broken

I am not sure why the category is not referencing - because it seems to be fine.

As for the Lookup expression - what would it look like?

If a category returns only one GL code, then put Appformula for the GL code column. It will work in this case.

This is how it works at the moment. It does show the correct GL Code, but i was wondering if i can make it already select that GL code, instead of the user having to click on it:

Use the Initial value expression.

Thanks Steve - but if the user chooses a different โ€œcategoryโ€ how will that affect the initial value expression?

I guess i am misunderstanding how to show the value of the GL code based on the Category selected. I thought Initial Value sets the value no matter what Category is chosen.

The Initial value will continually update until the user manually adjusts its value. Please read the help doc.

Ok. I see. now i put the formula in the Initial value:

This is the result when i choose any category (seems to just show ALL possible GL Codes):

Steve,
Do you think maybe my table structure for the second table โ€œGL Code Tableโ€ is wrongly set up?

Not at all. Iโ€™m not surprised by the result you getโ€“we need a better expression.\

But first!

This needs to be fixed:
3X_e_d_ed2518496f4f4a2b5e952dfb6a584c197479b852.png

The yellow triangle means the Category column is of type Ref, but the columnโ€™s value, RENTAL PARTS, is not a valid Ref-type value. I feel like weโ€™ve gad to deal with problem previouslyโ€ฆ

Ok. Here is the Table [Category] - refernces:

โ€œGL Code Tableโ€:

Please post a screenshot of the Category column configuration that includes at least the Valid If expression.

1. For the Category column, set Type to Text.

2. For the GL Code column set the Initial value expression to:

LOOKUP([_THISROW].[Category], "GL CODE TABLE", "Category", "GL CODE")

Steve,
Once againโ€ฆ

You have helped me out so much - i feel like i owe you a beer!

Thx again.

Happy to help!

Top Labels in this Space