How do I get my emails and PDF reports to use...

How do I get my emails and PDF reports to use DD/MM/YYYY format?

My appsheet displays dates in the exact format I need. The Excel spreadsheet it is linked to displays dates in the right format too. However the emails and PDF reports generated through Behavior > Workflow in Appsheet use the MM/DD/YYYY format.

I have set the default language to English United Kingdom, and my computer is set to English Australia.

Is there a way to fix the formatting, or perhaps change it to DD MMM YYYY HH:NN AM/PM? Do I need to set up a Virtual field in the table and then use that on my reports and emails?

0 8 388
8 REPLIES 8

@QFM_Services

Workflow displays Date, Time, and DateTime values based on the โ€œLocalizationโ€ setting for the table. Go to Data > Tables and check the โ€œLocalizationโ€ setting for your table.

If you were using Google Sheets this would happen automatically. When you create a Google Sheet you can set its โ€œLocaleโ€. When you create a table from a Google Sheet, we automatically retrieve the โ€œLocaleโ€ you specified and set the Tableโ€™s โ€œLocalizationโ€ to match the Google Sheetโ€™s โ€œLocaleโ€.

Excel does not allow you to set a โ€œLocaleโ€ for you worksheet, so we cannot do this automatically for you when you use Excel.

I am hoping that when you change the Tableโ€™s โ€œLocalizationโ€ setting it will automatically set the โ€œLocaleโ€ for each of that tableโ€™s fields. We actually do the formatting based on the fieldโ€™s Locale.

The idea behind field level โ€œLocaleโ€ settings is that you could potentially set different Locale values for different fields within a single Record. For example, one field could use Euros and another field could use Pound Sterling. We donโ€™t expose this at present in the Editor, but I designed it so this would be possible in future.

Hi @Phil
You say we could change the Data Locale also for Excel.
is this still true?
Because I read here that we should set it to either United States or Compatibility.

Under โ€œLocale for Excelโ€

Thanks for the clarification. Iโ€™ve made the change and will test it on my work this week.

AppSheet has been great but using Excel as a data source has been very problematic. I have some VBA doing updates in the background from an unattended PC and the sync messes up regularly. I would really love to change to Google Sheets but itโ€™s too big a job for me at the moment.

@QFM_Services

I created a simple test case this morning and confirmed that setting the Tableโ€™s โ€œLocalizationโ€ will format the values in workflow appropriately. I set โ€œLocalizationโ€ to โ€œEnglish (United Kingdom)โ€ and the dates were displayed in dd/mm/yyyy format.

Thanks Philip. I went on the road yesterday with the app and checked the results last night and it worked just as you said it would. Thanks for your time on this one.

@QFM_Services

You are welcome. Glad it worked!

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Iโ€™m having the same issue. But I can not fix it. Could you please take a look at it? QualityGate-622224 Workflow โ€œReportโ€ The columns [From] and [To] are formated in the wrong way. Thank you.

@Fabian

I attempted to reproduce the problem but I could not retrieve your workflow attachment template because your Microsoft login has expired.

If you renew your Microsoft login, I can attempt to reproduce the problem a second time.

Top Labels in this Space