How do I only send 1 email from a Change work...

How do I only send 1 email from a Change workflow rule?

I created a template in Google Docs called “Rejection Report”. I created a column in my main table called “Rejection Report”. I created an action that sets the value of [Rejection Report] to “Sent” I have a workflow rule set up to fire when “Sent” is in the [Rejection Report] column.

Everything is working as it should, but I just need the email sent one time, and that’s as soon as the word “Sent” shows up in the [Rejection Report] column. I understand I can do a scheduled workflow, but that won’t work for this situation. Is there anyway to create an expression that says something like [Rejection Report] = “Sent”, and nothing else.

Any ideas or suggestions?

0 10 326
10 REPLIES 10

@Brady_Lovell

Try the following expression in the workflow Condition:

AND([_THISROW_AFTER].[Rejection Report] = “Sent”, [_THISROW_BEFORE].[Rejection Report] <> [_THISROW_AFTER].[Rejection Report])

This will send the report when the new value in the [Rejection Report] field is “Sent”. The second part of the expression compares the before and after values of this field, and only triggers the workflow if the before and after values are different. It is the second part of the expression that prevents the workflow rule from triggering again if the field was set to “Send” by some earlier change.

You are currently specifying the Condition: [Redelivery]>0

I am not sure if you need that for some other reason, but based on your description I think you can simply eliminate that and replace it with the expression I provided.

@Brady_Lovell

I am not sure I fully understand your question, but it sounds close to what is described under topic “Sending Email When a Row is Updated to Have Specific Values” in this article help.appsheet.com - Workflow

If that article does not answer you question, can you try asking your question again? Workflow help.appsheet.com

I only want the workflow triggered when the column [Rejection Report] is updated, not when ANY column is updated.

You can check that in the workflow rule Condition by comparing the [_THISROW_BEFORE] and [_THISROW_AFTER] values as described in the article cited above.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Yea i’ve read the article several times and still can’t make sense of it.

@Brady_Lovell

Can you tell me: 1. Your account id from the account pane 2. Your app name 3. Your workflow rule name

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh Thanks a million times! I actually meant to tell you the name of the other workflow condition, but they’re both set up similar and your solution works perfectly for the one I was having trouble with.

Can’t thank you enough that was pretty frustrating.

@Brady_Lovell

Sorry it gave you so much trouble.

Was there something in the article that threw you off? I am not sure exactly what I can do to make this easier for the next person.

@Philip_Garrett_Appsh It probably just has to do with my lack of knowledge. As of 12 months ago I barely knew how do a simple formula in gSheets, so I’ve come a very long way. I just think it was too much for me to wrap my head around at this stage in the learning process. It’s not unusual for me to jump in over my head lol

@Brady_Lovell

Looks like you are doing a good job to me. Glad you have got it working.

Top Labels in this Space