How do you have an add form that auto increme...

How do you have an add form that auto increment the primary key? For a simple table (ID, FirstName, LastName) I want to have when you click the add button it has the ID field autofilled with the current max id + 1. Is that possible with appsheet?

0 6 414
6 REPLIES 6

Hi @Quy_Nguyen You can use MAX expression, ,only under some specific app usage conditions.The expression can be something like

MAX(TableName[ID])+1

However, please note that AppSheet typically does not recommend a sequential key generation as mentioned in

attached article.

You may implement

a sequential key only if your app has only one user or if it is a multi-user app,

then

any two users are never

likely to add a record simultaneously or the app is not going to be used in offline environment for adding records.

help.appsheet.com - Sequential Keys Sequential Keys help.appsheet.com

I would not recommend this if your app has more than one user. The duplicate value can happen even if those two users are not using the app in a same time. Itโ€™s not a timing issue, itโ€™s a syncing issue. If the other user hasnโ€™t used (synced) the app for example within last two days, this duplicate key will happen.

I would recommend using this expression [_Rownumber]-1โ€ฆ

I Understand why it would be a problem to add sequential keys if we have multiple users and if they both try to add events simultaneously. But can we somehow use โ€œwait for a conditionโ€ OR โ€œbranchingโ€ in the automation feature to solve this issue?

How would you envision that working?

Iโ€™m donโ€™t know if the server, which would handle the addition through an automation, would ensure that no duplicates happen.

Top Labels in this Space