how to create a dependent drop down by refere...

how to create a dependent drop down by referencing the colomn from the other table?

0 12 701
  • UX
12 REPLIES 12

For example consider an app called school there are two tables BASIC INFORMATION & ACADEMICS in basic information columns be like NAME ROLL NO in ACADEMICS

columns be like CLASS SUBJECTS and i want dependent drop down for

NAME, ROLL NO, CLASS, SUBJECTS

Hi @Jagadeesh_G,

There can be a few different approaches but based on your information given, you can use references for pulling Na me and Roll Number information from BASIC INFORMATION into ACADEMICS table. References because there is unique combination of Name and Roll Number for each student. You may wish to go through article listed at the bottom of this post for how to create references.

For pulling in name into ACADEMICS table, you can set Name column of ACADEMICS table as Column type โ€œRefโ€ and Referenced table name as BASIC INFORMATION in that columnโ€™s definition.

For Roll number column, you can write expression such as [Name].[Roll Number] in Roll Number column of ACADEMICS table. Here [Name] is the name of the Name column in ACADEMICS table.

Your CLASS and SUBJECTS column, if they are not dependent on any other column, you can use simple Enum type columns for these columns.

You can also store this CLASS and SUBJECTS information in another third lookup table and write a formula like SELECT(LOOKUPTABLE[CLASS],TRUE) in CLASS column of ACADEMICS table and similarly SELECT(LOOKUPTABLE[SUBJECTS],TRUE) IN

SUBJECTS column of ACADEMICS table.

help.appsheet.com - References Between Tables References Between Tables help.appsheet.com

Any sample apps??

HI dependent drop down is not working after referencing!! and imagine every column is dependent on each other like roll no is dependent on name &class dependent on roll no and subjects dependent on class.

Hi

For drop downs , I shared a sample app in my first post in this thread.

For table references , you can please refer following app

appsheet.com - Table References - A basic demo of table references Table References - A basic demo of table references appsheet.com

Hi @Jagadeesh_G, You may wish to go through the following

article help.appsheet.com - Dependent Dropdown Dependent Dropdown help.appsheet.com

You may also refer the following sample app

appsheet.com - Dependent Dropdowns - How to create a dropdown menu with values that depend on earlier choices Dependent Dropdowns - How to create a dropdown menu with values that depend on earlier choices appsheet.com

Hi
Do these links to sample app still work? It seems just to revert to appsheet.com and not a sample app. Interested in browsing the sample app with dependant drop down on referenced columns.

Hi @Michael_Pinto,

Yes, I believe in general, all app sample apps links should be available. I may suggest you to browse at the following path AppSheet Support Page

There is a rich repository of sample apps and article there.

If you search under โ€œDependentโ€, you will come across the relevant apps and article for your current requirement.

Hope this helps

Thanks

I was specifically looking for samples apps that have dependant drops downs in use with tables that are referenced to each other. I do not seem to find a sample app for that. Can you maybe direct me to one that I might of missed?

Hi ,

I believe you may want to make your case a little more elaborate. I believe if you mean referencing as defined in AppSheet terminology, such a sample app may not be there.

I may also suggest you could start a fresh post thread explaining your requirement so that community can suggest some ideas even if an exact equivalent sample may not be there.

Hi Suvrutt

Took a bit of time to get to it, but please see if this explanation is clear. Any chance of sample app to be created using this example. I am sure a few others would like to see this motion.

Top Labels in this Space