How to filter out empty cells?

Hello, everyone!

I own and operate a brewery and I run our production via google sheets. Our Production Schedule is a massive sheet in which all of our fermenters and bright tanks represent columns, aside from the first column that is the date. Essentially, we can quickly see whatโ€™s happening in a given day by selecting the corresponding row. I have pulled data from this view and created a monthly spreadsheet thatโ€™s handy, as well as a tank snapshot, basically pulling only what is happening TODAY so everyone can quickly see whatโ€™s going on today without the other information all around it. My hope is to build an app from this information so everyone can easily access and utilize this info without having to search for it.

To that end, I wanted to create a calendar view that could also generate task lists for the various production departments in a given day, week, or month. So, I created another spreadsheet that pulls the data from the Production Schedule and lists every single cell in the format required for AppSheet to read. However, I had to account for every single cell so the list includes blank cells as well as cells that have the product in tanks but nothing is actually happening to them on that given day. I then created a filter on google sheets to remove everything except things that are actually happening. I had hoped that would work but when I sent it to AppSheet it ignores more filters and pulls every cell. Is there a way to at least filter out the empty cells? And further, is there a way to filter out the tanks that have the product in them but thereโ€™s no activity that day?

We use shorthand to identify tasks on the schedule. For example, if the cell says, โ€œSunshine City IPA x 1 - 2 (FV14)โ€ this means that we are brewing 1 batch of Sunshine City IPA that day in the corresponding tank column on the corresponding cell date, the 2 is the generation of yeast and the (FV14) would identify what tank we are harvesting that yeast from. If the cell says, โ€œSunshine City IPAโ€ then itโ€™s just in the tank fermenting and thereโ€™s nothing to actually do that day. However, if it says โ€œSunshine City IPA (DH)โ€ we are dry-hopping that day, or if it says, โ€œSunshine City IPA (X-Fer),โ€ we are transferring the beer from one tank to another.

I say this because Iโ€™ve had a hard time creating filters on AppSheet when the text in the cells are so similar to one another.

Please feel free to ask any more questions if this doesnโ€™t make any sense and I greatly appreciate all of your help.

Thank you!!!

0 4 2,082
4 REPLIES 4

HBT
Participant V

Hello, Your question is very comprehensive. First, read the following, Also look for questions about Security filter and slice topics and sample applications on the form.

Hi, are there any other options to filter out blanks without using a slice? I canโ€™t figure out where to put ISBLANK() expression. Thank you in advance.

I am also trying to check if the given source row has a null value in a specific column and exclude it from the View.

But the only place I see the Expression Editor under a View is under "Show if" which applies to the whole view? It says in the heading "This formula is not evaluated in the context of a row, so column values are not available."

Essentially I am just trying to implement a default View filter that shows a subset of records. I feel like I'm missing something obvious here.

Top Labels in this Space