How to Format Icon Text for Actions? Hi, I a...

How to Format Icon Text for Actions?

Hi, I am trying to use actions to declutter my menu structure and have run into a problem with the text labels. In a number of instances the text labels do not fit within the allocated space. Is there anyway of changing the font size and/or allocating more space to each icon.

The names need to be meaningful and in some cases I am unable to devise names that are short enough for the display. Illustration of problem can be seen in screenshot below. In addition, is there a way of centreing the action icons within the display?

Hopefully someone can suggest a way around this. Also, when the display option is changed to display overlay it would help if a tooltip were displayed when the mouse hovers over the icon.

Regards, Steve

0 6 1,009
6 REPLIES 6

Maybe instead you could have a view that is a table or deck, where you have a table with a list of the actionsโ€ฆ and put the action as the โ€œon selectโ€

Another option is that you have a table that acts like a temporary form/survey where they could answer a few simple questions, choose a drop down, and then on save it runs the proper action

You must be careful of having a bunch of buttons that have obscure actionsโ€ฆ

Thanks Grant, I shall take a look at your suggested workarounds and also revisit my approach to rationalising my menu structure. It is almost a case of trying to emulate sub menus beneath a main menu item so the table or deck suggestion could be the answer.

Iโ€™m beginning to realise that the flexibility offered by AppSheet presents a number of ways to achieve the end goal - thatโ€™s the beauty of it. Just need to persevere to find the best fit for my apps!

@StudentHomes_Plymout agreedโ€ฆ

Have you tried to attach these actions to a column?

No, just about to try as I think that is what Grant is suggesting. Although struggling to find how to call action via a button or table entry, Grantโ€™s post mentions โ€œon selectโ€ but to be honest I donโ€™t know how to do this. Is there a sample app that I could look at to see how this is done?

Grant suggested a different approach where you could launch the action from one row. Attaching an action to a column means you can show all actions in one record and in one column.

Top Labels in this Space