How to indent

I’m sure that this little technique of mine is frowned upon by AppSheet. I don’t think it’s part of Google’s “material design” concept for apps. Still, I wanted to make a hierarchical outline like this:

In this case, I think the outline structure is easier to understand than a plain list.

So, how is it done? With spaces . . . I know, I know . . . not exactly rocket science. But, there is a trick to it just the same. Ordinarily, AppSheet would ignore spaces at the beginning of a line. So, I had to trick the platform into doing my bidding. Here’s how I did it:

1. In the Google spreadsheet
    =concatenate(CHAR(HEX2DEC(“200B”))," ",L7)
    You can’t see it but there are lots and lots of spaces between the quotation marks.
    I’ve explained what this HEX2DEC character does here:
    How to make a mirrored histogram in AppSheet
    The “L7” cell has text that I use in other contexts. It may not be necessary here. Then again, it might be necessary to have something after all of the spaces. I can’t recall right now. (It’s been a long time since I first did this.)
  2. An “indent” virtual column
    The column in the step above this one is “Quotes” in my app. Here’s what I have in my “Indent” virtual column:
    left([Quotes],8)
    The number controls how many spaces will be used in the indent. Season to taste.
  3. The target column
    I use something like “concatenate([indent],”• your archive")" to get what I want.

That’s it. By the way, with an outline like this, a show/hide toggle might come in handy:

It would also be nice if we could control the spacing between lines.

6 3 521
3 REPLIES 3

Thank you @Kirk_Masden for this tip. I like it.

Indent is possible also with “Dummy” Format Rules.
It does not matter what kind of icon you use, but the highlight color has to be transparent.

3X_8_e_8ef2d8789e24e435e72dcecb79bd1d661cb15769.png

Thanks! That’s interesting. Your method is easier than mine. But, perhaps it’s hard to control the size of the indent with your method. Is that right? Is there a way to control how far in you indent?

You see that [Phone] is more indent, because both dummy format rules apply. For [Customer] only one format rule applies. So that’s the only way how to control it: The number of dummy format rules.

Top Labels in this Space