How to know if user interacts with form

Hello everyone, is there any way I can know if the user interacts with the form. Because I only want to change the value of one input according to another field on the same form when the user interacts with the later field.

Solved Solved
0 9 392
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Well thereโ€™s two ways to go about this:

1. you can stick with using the initial value formula;
    • this means it only works curing the record creation, after that it would stop the โ€œautomaticโ€ setting of the value;
    • but it is much simpler to integrate. Or,
  2. you can create an โ€œinputโ€ field and use that for the input, using your original column as the actual โ€œoutputโ€
    • this gives you the ability to have things automatically set for you
    • itโ€™s much more involved to create.

For the first one, I would think a formula like this might work for the initial value formula:

ifs(isnotblank([Column1]), 
  if([Column1] = "One", 
    "None", 
  "One")
)

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9

Steve
Participant V

I already know this, But i need specific solution for my problem. Please someone help me

You havenโ€™t described a specific problem, so we canโ€™t offer a specific solution.

MultiTech
Participant V

Hey @Countryboy_OmEr.

One of my SOP is to include the following column group:
2X_2_2f573bac53bfd4a390534d78f2214f9bd8933dd1.png

This includes an โ€œEditUserโ€ column that grabs the email of anyone making edits to the row; this provides a โ€œwho did it lastโ€ history, but not a complete edit history. You CAN find this if you use Gsheets by looking at the version history.

The way the โ€œEditUserโ€ column works is to use an App Formula:

• USEREMAIL()

This grabs the email of whoever is using the app each time it changes;

• when I create the record, itโ€™s my email;
  • when you complete the project, it updates to your email;
  • when Steve goes in and make edits, it updates to his email.

The CreationUser column uses an Initial Value of USEREMAIL() to grab the email of whoever made it, but since itโ€™s in the initial value itโ€™s only recorded once; putting the value in the App Formula makes it recalculate with each edit.

If you really wanted to get crazy, you could create an edit tracking table, using the background record creation action to auto-create a record of whoโ€™s editing what record, when, etc.

For example, I have two columns ,โ€œColumn 1โ€ and โ€œColumn 2โ€. What I wanna do is, if โ€œColumn 1โ€ value is โ€œOneโ€ then โ€œColumn 2โ€ value is โ€œNoneโ€, if โ€œColumn 1โ€ has any other value than โ€œOneโ€ , then โ€œColumn 2โ€ should have value โ€œOneโ€ and I only want to change the value of โ€œColumn 2โ€ if user interacts with โ€œColumn 1โ€ otherwise leave the โ€œColumn 1โ€ blank. If I put the if expression in initial value of โ€œColumn 2โ€ then โ€œColumn 2โ€ value changes at the start because โ€œColumn 1โ€ is blank. Can someone please guide me now what should I do.

Does this only have to work during the first time the record is created, or do you need this to be functional for edits as well?

I donโ€™t mind if itโ€™s works everytime I edit. But it should also allow me to change it manually.

Well thereโ€™s two ways to go about this:

1. you can stick with using the initial value formula;
    • this means it only works curing the record creation, after that it would stop the โ€œautomaticโ€ setting of the value;
    • but it is much simpler to integrate. Or,
  2. you can create an โ€œinputโ€ field and use that for the input, using your original column as the actual โ€œoutputโ€
    • this gives you the ability to have things automatically set for you
    • itโ€™s much more involved to create.

For the first one, I would think a formula like this might work for the initial value formula:

ifs(isnotblank([Column1]), 
  if([Column1] = "One", 
    "None", 
  "One")
)

Thanks brother, it works great.

Top Labels in this Space