How to make sequential number?

how to make a sequential number?

0 16 8,617
16 REPLIES 16

Steve
Platinum 4
Platinum 4

Thanks for your kind reply, so what is the alternatives for this case?

Did you read the article?

which article?

The one I posted above.

Yes, i did, but I did not got this (One way to implement serial numbers is with a normal (not virtual) column named (e.g.) Serial of type Number and an Initial value expression โ€ฆ)

Hazem,

I have a work order app that creates sequential numbering for our work orders. Hereโ€™s the formula I use in the โ€œInitial Valueโ€ column:

CONCATENATE(RIGHT([Year],2), [_RowNumber]+1)

Which gives me work orders that start with โ€œ20โ€ and then the resulting row number. For example, right now Iโ€™m up to work order 20232. Works ok for our purposes.

2 lessons I learned:

1 - Donโ€™t use this column as your โ€œKey.โ€ Itโ€™s not a reliable and unique enough number.

2 - Be careful if you decide to clean up your spreadsheet/database. I was cleaning up the app and decided to delete several work orders that were unnecessary. I then decided to remove these blank rows in my spreadsheet which created all sorts of issues with sequential numbering and work order creation. Not fun.

Hope this helps.

I was looking for a similar solution.

The best I found was to do this management through the spreadsheet with the command

ArrayFormula ().

Ps: MySql is easier because there is autoincremment

This is how i handle a sequential numbering. PUR1 is my static value for puchases.

โ€œPUR1โ€&RIGHT(โ€œ000000โ€&([_RowNumber]-1),5)

This worksโ€ฆThanks

is this formula to be input in excel? or in the column of appsheet?

Thatโ€™s an AppSheet expression, not Excel.

Iโ€™m looking at developing key columns that have more meaning to me than the default. Therefore, I was hoping to create a column called โ€œBusCustomersโ€ and โ€œCustomersโ€, providing the first column as auto-incrementing and unique. The problem is, this approach doesnโ€™t work. Iโ€™d stick to the standard items but I noted that Customer Names and Business Names werenโ€™t unique enough to form a key. Is my approach off, or do you have an alternative suggestion (maybe creating a field, as above, then using it plus the customer last name would serve me better?

Have you tried to use a virtual column as key? So then you can concatenate different values from different columns and make 1 key. Like this:

LEFT(โ€œCustomersโ€,4)&RIGHT(โ€œ000000โ€&([_RowNumber]-1),5)

Btw, this will work in ID column as well. Give it a try

Unique() I recommend using a key. With the formulas suggested by friends for the row number, you can create the row number with a second column. Because doing this prevents the use of the same key when more than one person uses the application.

I used this expression, in reference to my table columns: COUNT(SELECT (Customer Items[Serial No.], [Reference Number] = [_THIS].[Reference Number]))+1

Top Labels in this Space