How to populate a list of emails

Hello,

I am developing a scheduling application.

When looking at the spreadsheet I had been working in I was able to use the following formula to return a list of student email addresses (separated by commas) based on their names being listed in another cell (also separated by commas.)

=ARRAYFORMULA(TextJoin(",",1,IF(V18="",VLookup(Transpose(Trim(Split(V18,","))),Roster!A$2:E,3,0))))

Example: Dan, Joe, Jane in cell V18 would return Dan@icloud.com,Joe@hotmail.com, Jane@gmail.com. The only problem with this approach is that I have to manually copy the formula into each row. Is there anyway that I can write an expression in appsheet that can do this for me?

Thank you all for your help!

Solved Solved
0 7 1,162
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

You have a Roster table that lists names and emails? Iโ€™ll assume so, and assume it looks like this:
2X_1_1e2e5d8a36fe16cb944b6e26451bf919cc007efd.png

Then you have a sheet with a Text/LongText type column in which youโ€™ve manually written in Roster names, separate by commas?

We can get an email list by using this expression in another column:

SELECT( Roster[email] , CONTAINS( [_THISROW].[roster name list] , [Name] ) )

Might I also suggest using an EnumList type column in place of your comma-separated roster name list. This gives you easier input. Just set a valid_if expression as โ€œRoster[Name]โ€. In which case, the above expression would become.

SELECT( Roster[email] , IN( [Name] , [_THISROW].[roster name list] ) )

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7

You have a Roster table that lists names and emails? Iโ€™ll assume so, and assume it looks like this:
2X_1_1e2e5d8a36fe16cb944b6e26451bf919cc007efd.png

Then you have a sheet with a Text/LongText type column in which youโ€™ve manually written in Roster names, separate by commas?

We can get an email list by using this expression in another column:

SELECT( Roster[email] , CONTAINS( [_THISROW].[roster name list] , [Name] ) )

Might I also suggest using an EnumList type column in place of your comma-separated roster name list. This gives you easier input. Just set a valid_if expression as โ€œRoster[Name]โ€. In which case, the above expression would become.

Hello Marc,
Thank you for your assistance.

I like the idea of the enumlist. Will I still be able to select multiple students from that list? Sometimes I could have up to 23 students assigned to various tasks.

Here is a screenshot of a sample data table I am working with.(Hopefully this is visible)
2X_1_196252ce7a57b68581f0967531c6300dd7eb3d17.jpeg

Also, I am VERY new to appsheet, would I be placing your formula into the formula field in the columns editior?

Yes that is what an EnumList is for.

You would put it in the App Formula field of a column separate from the name list column.

Marc,
Thank you again!
I think I have most of this formatted correctly now, except I am still getting an error. I wonder if there is a problem with how I am using your code for my data.

Parameter 2 of function IN is the wrong type.

I appreciate your help again. There is so much to learn

That would indicate that the [roster name list] column is not a List. If it is still a Text column, youโ€™ll need to use the first version of the formula that I posted, with the CONTAINS() expression.

Marc,

Thank you for your guidance on making this work, I really appreciate it. Looks like I have most of the errors figured out (meaning the app is functional in the preview windows again); however, only one student email is being returned instead of a each confirmed students email address separated by commas.

Right now I have

TABEL ROSTER
[Name] - Enum List
[Last Name] - Text
[Email] - Enum List
[Photo] - Image

TABLE Scheduling
Many columns beforeโ€ฆ
[Confirmed Student] - Enum List
[Team Email] - Enum List

The formula you provided is in the formula field for [Team Email]

When โ€œDan,Joeโ€ is selected in confirmed student, the only email address appearing in [Team Email] is Dan@icloud.com.

Thank you again, you and the articles provided have been very helpful!

Actually it looks like it is working beautifully now!
Thank you for your help!

Top Labels in this Space