How to set a value on another table

Hi!

I want to set a value on other table, using a value on this table.
Let say i want to set a value on Table1[Status]=Table2[Approve].

note :
Table 1 is reference with Table 2.
The value on [Status] is not reference with [Approve]

Is anyone can help what formula to use?
Thanks in advance

0 6 3,945
6 REPLIES 6

Hi!

This is relevant to what you want to do:

Even if you only want to write to one cell on another table, the โ€œexecute an action on a set or rowsโ€ is what you need to use.

Thanks. I will try to learn this

@Novianto_Djunaedi

I think we need more details.

Are you wanting to perform this update in a Form, with an Action or within a Workflow?

Also, as it might affect the answer, we probably should understand these statements below.

In what way is โ€œTable 1 is reference with Table 2โ€? Is there a column in Table 2 that references Table 1 or the other way around, a column in Table 1 that references Table 2?

Which column is the Ref column? What is the data in the table being referenced?

In the second statement above I assume you mean that neither [Status] nor [Approve] are reference columns?

All this is important to know to provide you with the best solution. The answer may be as simple as using โ€œdotโ€ notation to pull the [Approve] value like `[Ref Column].[Approve]โ€™. Or the solution may be as complex as creating a set of Actions to properly navigate the tables to then be able to assign [Status] the value of [Approve] using a SELECT() expression. It all depends on your mode of processing.

Hi mate,

I will try to give example.
Table 1 column is
[Key]. Initial value = uniqueid()
[Status]. Initial value = โ€œNew Jobโ€

Table 2 column is
[Ref Key]. Ref to table 1 [key]
[Approve] enum type. = โ€œApproveโ€, โ€œRejectโ€, โ€œPendingโ€

Let say Table 1 is for create a transaction record. And table 2 is for approval. So i want every time a user submit value on [Approve]. The value will replace value on table 1 [status].

And when the status is โ€œPendingโ€, then we want to submit again, the status on table 1 back to โ€œnew jobโ€ by using action / trigger on table 2.

Is it possible?
Thanks in advance

The simplest way to solve your updating problem is to move the [Approve] column into Table 1. Then you would have access to it and the [Status] column together to change as needed.

However, assuming that there are other reasons you have [Approve] in Table 2, I would try resolving the problem with an Action attached the Form Saved behavior of your Table 2 Form.

This Action, call it Action1, would be of type โ€œexecute an Action on a set of rowsโ€. In the Reference Rows property use a FILTER() expression for Table 1 where [Key] = [_THISROW].[Ref Key]. The Referenced Action would Action2 described below.

Action2 operated on Table 1 and is of type โ€œupdate some columns on this rowโ€. This is where you set the [Status] column based on an expression. If [Approve] is โ€œApproveโ€ or โ€œRejectโ€, then assign that value, else assign โ€œNew Jobโ€. The expression might be like this:

IF(IN(LOOKUP(<value of approve from table 2>), LIST("Approve", "Reject")),
      LOOKUP(<value of approve from table 2>),
      "New Job"
  )

Obviously, all of the details are not there. Iโ€™ll assume you know how to fill them in. If not, just ask.

Doing it this way you would not need a separate action/workflow when the value of [Approve] is set to โ€œPendingโ€. The Action above will take care of it.

hi mate,
Really appreciate for your response
i will try your solution after iโ€™m back.
will update here if this working.
Thanks

Top Labels in this Space