I am having a bit of a problem with the image...

I am having a bit of a problem with the image cache. I upload all my images directly to Google drive and not through the app. I have replaced the first version of all my images on Google drive with edited new versions.

Some of the new versions appear, while others still show the old versions. This is what I did: Delete the old versions from Google drive and empty the bin. Reupload the new images (same file name and directory) Turned off the offline mode in the app Deleted the app and reinstalled it several times (iOS) 24 hours later some images โ€œrepairedโ€ while others are still the old images (which no longer exist anywhere except as these ghosts in the app.

Is this a Google thing or could they be tangled up somewhere in AppSheet?

Should give Google a bit more time to digest the changes?

There are several thousand images, all cropped to 600 x 600 and average 180kb in size.

The images work fine in the app except for this issue.

0 16 1,149
16 REPLIES 16

The problem is normally the cache and you should change the file name slightly.

@Aleksi_Alkio you mean the image filename?

Yes, thatโ€™s correct.

@Aleksi_Alkio there are thousands of images. It is doable but it does complicate the workflowโ€ฆ

When you say โ€œcacheโ€ do you mean the cache in the app (AppSheet side) or in Google Drive?

What about copying the app and deleting the old one? Would the cache be copied too?

Harry2

@Stefan_Ottomanski1 Hi Stefan, the cache that stores image paths resides in an online caching service called Redis. This means that copying or deleting the app will have no effect on the cache. Since the cache stores not just the names of the image files, but rather the entire file paths, one quick way to fix this problem is to move the images to a different directory.

@Harry that worked!

I just changed the top folder in Drive and in the sheet. Took 2 minutes.

It also fixed the sheet: I have an extra column to show the thumbnails in the sheet and they were not all showing up either. Now they are.

Follow up question: if I set SYNC: CLOUD TO.DATA SOURCE or server caching to. ON, How would this affect the cache with issues like this?

Harry2

@Stefan_Ottomanski1 By default, image paths are cached regardless of the server caching setting. This setting only applies to table data, and the cache is automatically cleared when AppSheet detects that the tables have been modified.

@Harry I see. All much clearer now. Thanks.

MBI
Bronze 2
Bronze 2

Greetings, Is there any update to this caching issue? We noticed Secure PDF option, but it was denoted by saying offline access would not be available by checking that choice.

We have had the customer changing between Gdrive location (relative) and URL from their secure website in their gsheet.

Changing actual filenames is too much of a flaming hoop to jump through as they already have an established schema and use the files across their media.

His company still has issues with not seeing the latest versions, and they depend on the accuracy for teams in the field. This is a read-only app, used occasionally offline. It is a white-labeled app in the app store.

Thanks!

Hi
I am having a problem with this issue too. I have user photos stored and referenced from a table. I was aware of the cache bug. So as a work around I got the windows software to upload the photo with a file name that alternated between xxa and xxb eg: PH000001a.jpg or PH000001b.jpg. so that the file name had been changed each time a photo was modified and saved. However, it looks as though the cache is holding on to both a and b versions of the file so after the 2nd iteration, I am back to the same old problem.

Has anyone come up with a work around or a fix as yet?

I have read elsewhere that the cached images โ€œage-outโ€. Can anyone put a time to this feature?
Is it hours, days, months?

Bit of a tip for those struggling with this one. I have found that if I switch the โ€œOffline/Syncโ€ > โ€œAutomatic Updatesโ€ to OFF then back ON again. This appears to cause the cache of images to be refreshed.
Perhaps others can confirm?

This worked vs the 35 times i clicked Sync, 10 times I cleared browser cache and 5 times I changed the file name!

Thank you for posting this reply! I will sleep much better tonight!

Confirmed ! Thank you

Top Labels in this Space