I am having trouble using the API to make a b...

I am having trouble using the API to make a batch edit of sorts.

In all the examples, the templates list the row keys to be changed separately, but I have one value, a list of keys to reference the rows.

Do I need a start expression in the template?

Iโ€™m a little lost with this one.

0 7 349
7 REPLIES 7

RezaRaoofi
Participant V

Have you tried API to invoke an action? You could set action type to Data: execute an action on a set of rows; read this link if you havenโ€™t already: help.appsheet.com - Invoking an Action Invoking an Action help.appsheet.com

@RezaRaoofi

I did, and I am trying to get it to work.

Here is the template I am starting with.

[Inline Construction Status] is my list of row keys to be changed.

I have a multi column key, in the example they list out individual columns of their key, how would I do that when I am comparing it to a list of the computed keys?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1IkHB1WQeExb8wmyzLAdhGOh8olKQMIfB/view?usp=sharing

RezaRaoofi
Participant V

My apologies, I donโ€™t think my suggested solution would work; sounds like currently only 2 types of actions below could be invoked by API, and executing an action on a set of row is not one of them: 1) Data: set the value of a column 2) Grouped: execute a sequence of actions.

Could you explain a little why you are in a situation that you need to update a set of row, and it has to be triggered from outside app?

@RezaRaoofi I need the ability to make a huge amount of batch edits. Up to letโ€™s say changing 1 column of 3000 rows. Executing the action in the app takes 10 min for 200 rows, anything above 200 freezes the app completely. Using a regular workflow to do it, even 50 rows times out the app, although the action continues to work on the sheet at the same speed. Itโ€™s really important that I find something that is more efficient, so that this is possible.

RezaRaoofi
Participant V

@Rosemary_Black I totally understand; for a batch update in the scale that you described it should be really done on back-end; for example if you are using Google Sheet a Google Apps Script could take care of such update in much shorter time.

@RezaRaoofi for now I am using a sheet, so that is possible. For flexibility, letโ€™s say I move to

SQL, then what is the solution? Iโ€™m hoping to make something work that would only need minor tweaks in the future.

RezaRaoofi
Participant V

SQL databases have been designed to do such operations on the server side; for example updating rows can be easily done by UPDATE statement which is part of SQL language, and all SQL databases e.g. Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, etc. support that kind of operation.

Top Labels in this Space